Processor in Router

Answered Question
Mar 2nd, 2009
User Badges:

Hi all,

Can anybody help me in knowing what command i have to use to identify the CPU/Processor my router is using?

Please help

R.B.Kumar

Correct Answer by Edison Ortiz about 8 years 2 months ago

R.B.

In older routers, that information was clearly visible in show version. However, newer lines of routers do not display this information for competitive reasons.

With that said, CPU/Processor power isn't the only driving engine for fast throughput. Cisco incorporates dedicated ASICs in routers and switches which takes away the load from the CPU.

If you want to know how fast a router runs, I recommend checking the benchmark datasheets at this location:

http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/tools/quickreference/index.html

HTH,

__

Edison.

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
adamclarkuk_2 Mon, 03/02/2009 - 07:33
User Badges:
  • Silver, 250 points or more

Hi

If you mean CPU type, then :-

show version

(for just cpu output do show ver | inc CPU)

IF you mean CPU usage, then

sh processes cpu

hclisschennai Mon, 03/02/2009 - 07:38
User Badges:

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

But using "show version" command i am not able to see the CPU that is been used(I donot want to know about usage).

Any clues?

R.B.Kumar

Correct Answer
Edison Ortiz Mon, 03/02/2009 - 08:22
User Badges:
  • Super Bronze, 10000 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

R.B.

In older routers, that information was clearly visible in show version. However, newer lines of routers do not display this information for competitive reasons.

With that said, CPU/Processor power isn't the only driving engine for fast throughput. Cisco incorporates dedicated ASICs in routers and switches which takes away the load from the CPU.

If you want to know how fast a router runs, I recommend checking the benchmark datasheets at this location:

http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/tools/quickreference/index.html

HTH,

__

Edison.

Actions

This Discussion