Views
Helpful
Replies

Flat vs. Routed network

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

All,

We have 3 buildings that are side by side. We have a fiber run between two buildings for a switch to switch connection (bridged), and we have a P2P T1 to the other location on a routed network. Ok, so we are going to try to phase out the T1 at the one location with wireless bridges. The wireless bridge can be in bridge mode or routed. I suggested to management that we stay with routed, but they want to flatten the network.

Do I have any good points that I can use that we shouldn't flatten this network? Is there a good reason to go flat, other than maybe ease of management?

Thanks,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***
2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

John

The main point i would make is that a flat network means a problem in one site can easily affect the other 2 sites. STP is the main issue i would have.

I would actually recommend you route between all buildings if at all possible although it depends on the vlan layout etc..

Jon

Mohamed Sobair
Level 7
Level 7

John,

Here are 5 important reasons in order to go for Routed Network rather than Flat Network:-

1) IP Subnet Conservation.

2) Each Network is abroadcast domain, so it reduces the broadcast request across the Network.

3) Better Flexibility In filteration and provide better Security mechanism.

4) Reduces Bandwidth usage on the Network.

5) Better convergence and fast failure detection.

HTH

Mohamed

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: