cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

OCS/UM integration with CUCM/Unity

keithpotter
Level 1
Level 1

I have a customer who has CUCM/Unity and is purchasing OCS/UM because of its Presense features. Both OCS and Unity will share the same Exchange 2007 cluster. My question is: When a user 1 on CUCM leaves a VM in a OCS UM mailbox (exchange 2007) and the OCS user wants to replay to the CUCM user. Does the UM request stay within the Exchange Environment? Since Msft UM does not support VPIM nor Cisco Unity integrate directly with OCS. Forwarding the VM should work fine.

I appreciate any feedback which is provided.

3 Replies 3

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If the users are all on the same Exchange backend, they can forward "Messages" to and from each other, but they will NOT be classified as VM messages. Unity will take the note a IPM Note that it knows is a voicemail. I'm sure Exchange 2007 UM will take a voicemail also for voicemail. The problem lies in the IPM notes. They are most likely tagged differently. So then what?

Well, so for example, an OCS UM enabled user forwards a voicemail to a Unity Subscriber. The Unity subscriber logs into the TUI on their phone, but never got the voicemail the OCS users forwarded. It's because Unity did not know it was a voicemail, it sees the forwarded messages as a message and will not "count" it as voicemail.

Im not sure vice versa, but I will assume OCS does not know Unity was in their email, and fowarded a voicemail to an OCS users. It will look like an email message with a wav attachment.

It's kind of odd the client has both. Have two separate Voicemail platforms really seems like a bad idea. If the customer really wants presence, use the OCS IM server. It itegrates into Exchange and AD to give presence in email, outlook, etc. Then use the CUPS server to produce onhook/offhook presence to the OCS IM server. It works like a champ and gives end users full presence in the OCS IM client. Plus, Remote Call Control of their desk phone.

Cheers

I believe one reason why they chose both is the customer has a significant amount of remote workers which do not have a desk phone. The users currently utilize IP Communicator and will move to OCS Communicator, i do not believe RCC can control a softphone.

Again thanks for your feedback.

the MOC client can control IP Communicator. I have it working at a couple of different clients using OCS 2007 and LCS 2005. It is support I believe from Cisco.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: