cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SSM required for Data Mobility Manager?

bfeeny
Level 1
Level 1

Everything I am reading is saying that to do DMM, I need a SSM. Yet when I review the CCIE Storage lab equipment list there is no SSM module listed, yet the lab blueprint says "Implement DMM". Is there a way to implement DMM without a SSM?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

stephen2615
Level 3
Level 3

A SSM is required to do DMM. Same as all the other "value added" functions such as SAN-TAP, etc.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

stephen2615
Level 3
Level 3

A SSM is required to do DMM. Same as all the other "value added" functions such as SAN-TAP, etc.

Thanks Stephen.

I just read on cisco that the MSM module, and thus the 9222i as well, support DMM. So this is how the lab blueprint for CCIE storage facilitates "Implement DMM" I would assume.

I must admit that it never occurred to me that the MSM could do that. Sorry for sending the wrong information. The i series switch just never really fit into our solutions so I tended it not watch their features.

Stephen, no worries, but it seems that since the Storage lab uses a 9222i and MSM's, that is how they do SME, DME, Santap etc.

In fact, I have searched but have not found a comparison document of intelligent features supported by MSM, 9222i, and SSM. I am a bit confused over what you can or can't do with one vs. the other as far as intelligent features are concerned.

I just read the gos on the 9222i and was surprised that DMM is supported natively. That being said, I don't see the other SSM features there "natively". Perhaps they just chuck in a SSM to use in the lab. Our EMC people just never shut up about using the MDS for replication. I heard a rumour that Cisco was looking at buying EMC for a number of reasons..

I heard that rumor too :), who knows if there is truth in it.

DMM and SME is supported on 9222i/18+4 LC, DMM from NX-OS 4.1, SME from 3.2(2) on 9222i and from 3.2(1) with 18+4 in a 9500. Santap is not supported on either 9222i or 18+4 LC.