Upgrade1242AG?

Unanswered Question
Mar 3rd, 2009

Hi,

We have several 1242AG LWAPP connected to a cisco 4400wlc.

I was wondering if i should update the ios image on the accesspoints? -what is the benefit? if someone would post a instruction on how to do it it would be great.

Today i have this ios on them c1240-k9w8-mx.124-3g.JA2.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
jeff.kish Tue, 03/03/2009 - 13:23

Hi Marcus,

Since these 1242AG access points connect to a WLC, they're running lightweight code. The lightweight APs actually get their software/IOS updates from the controller. In other words, you never need to upgrade the APs, just the controller. Once you upgrade a controller, the APs will automatically download their new code next time they connect to the controller.

To answer your question, the only real reason to upgrade is if there's a new feature or a bug-fix that you need in your production environment. If all is running fine, there's not really a reason to upgrade.

You can upgrade your controller code by going to the Commands tab in the web GUI. Click "Download File" on the left, then fill in the information on the right. You'll need a TFTP server that can transfer files over 32MB for this. I recommend Googling TFTPD32, it's a free quality TFTP server.

Let me know if you need more assistance!

Jeff

Actions

This Discussion