Views
Helpful
Replies

PIX interface affects local VLAN traffic

s.srivas
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a problem, in that servers on vlan 111 are intermitent in communicating them selve.

This vlan 111 is trunked with vlan 100 to pix gB-ethr3. Th server gateways are the vlan111 on the pix. (v100 physical, v111 logical, only one switch 4948 is connecting to the two failover pix GB-ether3.

Why is the local communication intermittent.

Note: The server team thinks that the pix trying to do ARP for evrything. What to look for to reason this.

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

disabling proxyarp just on the inside interface should do the job for you ( sysopt noproxyarp inside - stops PIX answering for the ARP requests coming from the inside interface ), as that's the network where you have got intermittent connectivity.

but it's worth trying , if the issue persists.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

what version of code are you running ?

pasting your code might help .

Hi Vikram,

Thank you.

PIX Version 6.3 is used.

and I stopped the proxy-arp function on the pix interface and it looks like it is working.

that's what i was guessing too.

I think you will have to disable the proxy-arp thing - If I am not wrong.

"The fix is to turn off proxy-arp for this interface. "sysopt noproxyarp inside" stops PIX answering for the ARP requests coming from the inside interface "

I read this in a book

appreciate you replying to the thread :)

Thanks for that.

When i fied the inside by stopping proxy arp, suddenly the outside interface is trying to assist with it's proxy arp.

I'm planning to stop proxy-arp on the ouside. i do not know if this will affect any other interfaces as there is a lot of other interfaces on this pix.

Should i go for no-proxing on the outside/

disabling proxyarp just on the inside interface should do the job for you ( sysopt noproxyarp inside - stops PIX answering for the ARP requests coming from the inside interface ), as that's the network where you have got intermittent connectivity.

but it's worth trying , if the issue persists.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card