cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

disable the telnet and enable password

dpatkins
Level 1
Level 1

Or remove them. Good morning. My goal is to one or two internal logins on each Cisco device and then allow Radius authentication for telnet or SSH?

Is there a simple way to do this on a Cisco Device?

Thanks

Dwane

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Oh I see what you mean, use local authentication when radius fail! You almost go it right.

aaa authentication login LINE1 group radius local

line vty 0 4 "or"

line vty 0 15

login authentication LINE1

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Ivan Martinon
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Dwane, what you mean is that you want to first 2 connections via telnet or SSH to be authenticated via the LOCAL database and the subsequent connections to be authenticated via a RADIUS server? I think this can be done only on devices that use the line vty connections.

Since the line VTY numbers go from 0 to 15, you can configure each line separately unsing for example something like this:

aaa authentication login LINE1_2 local

aaa authenticaiton login LINE3_16 group radius

line vty 0

login authentication LINE1_2

line vty 1

login authentication LINE1_2

line vty 2 15

login authentication LINE3_16

The way this works is that when you initially telnet/SSH to your router, it will be connected to the line vty 0 line using the LOCAL authentication same applies to line 1, once you have used both line 0 and line 1 and you try to use line 2 those will be placed under line vty 2 which is authenticating via a radius.

Note radius authentication will only apply or kick in if the the previous lines are used.

HTH

Ivan

No, what I would like to do is only be able to authenticate via Radius Authentication and if Radius authentication fails, I would liek to be able to use a local username.

I see what you are saying, but I think what I need to do is create

aaa authentication login LINE1 radius local

line vty 0

line vty 1

line vty 2 15

This will work, right?

Oh I see what you mean, use local authentication when radius fail! You almost go it right.

aaa authentication login LINE1 group radius local

line vty 0 4 "or"

line vty 0 15

Ivan,

Thank you. Now one last quick question, when I create a username and give them a privilege of 15, that should give them enable-mode capabilities, correct?

Dwane

You need to configure authorization as well to make this happen:

aaa authorization exec LINE1 group radius local

line vty 0 15

authorization exec LINE1