cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Tacacs per vrf no supported on my router, does a gre tunnel would work?

luismoondo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Basically the problem is that I am working with old routers, checked already on feature navigator an the following commands are not supported on the router to communicate to a TACACS server that resides on a vrf:

-----------------------------------------

Configuring Per VRF for TACACS+ Servers: Example

The following output example shows that the group server tacacs1 has been configured for per VRF AAA services:

aaa group server tacacs+ tacacs1

server-private 10.1.1.1 port 19 key cisco

ip vrf forwarding cisco

ip tacacs source-interface Loopback0

ip vrf cisco

rd 100:1

interface Loopback0

ip address 10.0.0.2 255.0.0.0

ip vrf forwarding cisco

-----------------------------------------

Basically I can not support all the above, however I was thinking of bypassing the command creating a GRE tunnel, I just need a confirmation if the following would work, if not I would appreciated that someone can point me into a better direction:

ON BRANCH ROUTER:

int l0

ip add 1.1.1.1 255.255.255.0

no shut

int tun10

ip add 2.2.2.1 255.255.255.0

ip vrf forwarding cisco

tun so l0

tun dest [ip add of router directly connected to tacacs server]

ip tacacs source-interface l0

tacacs-server host 10.10.10.1

tacacs-server key 7 cisco

ON REMOTE ROUTER:

int l0

ip add 3.3.3.3 255.255.255.0

no shut

int tun10

ip add 2.2.2.2 255.255.255.0

ip vrf forwarding cisco

tunn so l0

tunn dest [ip add of branch router]

Attached is some real information, the ip address of the real tacacs server is 10.20.30.61.

2 Replies 2

sadbulali
Level 4
Level 4

The Per VRF for TACACS+ Servers feature allows per VRF AAA to be configured on TACACS+ servers. Prior to Cisco IOS Release 12.3(7)T, this functionality was available only on RADIUS servers.

Thanks for the response but I post the question after knowing that, I already checked on Feature Navigator that THIS IS NOT SUPPORTED for my router, at the end of my configuration I am purposing a workaround using a tunnel to bybass the nonsupported configuration.

My question to you is, does a configuration with gre with vrf can work instead of the nonsupported configuration?

I know that the alternative is to run Radius but it is more paperwork to do than trying to implement a solution with the current IOS.

Thanks and sorry if I didn't make self clear at the beginning of my first post.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: