CCIE Lab Open ended questions_Why?!!

Unanswered Question
Mar 3rd, 2009

I`m really sorry for CCIE team,because of this solution.It`s NOT really fair. Suppose an expert physician who can do complicated surgeries very well,but does not remember for example the exact name or relations of a part of the body.So should he be failed in a practical exam?!

So why don`t they omit the written exam and check the the theory on the lab?!

The worse is that as all the open ended questions MUST be done and you will fail the lab if you can`t answer only ONE of the 4 or 5 questions,although getting score 100 in all lab topics!!So should we leave the lab location at 9am if we can`t answer the open ended questions?!!

I wish they would correct it soon or convince all the candidates like me.Although I`m sure that the open ended questions too will be disclosed in the near future.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
marikakis Tue, 03/03/2009 - 12:07

There can be an unlimited set of open-ended questions. They are just 4-5 for each candidate as rumors suggest, so the pool can be effectively endless.

The alleged expert doctor who doesn't know the relationships between parts of the body would better not come my way or I will have to physically explain the relationship between my hands and his/hers neck!

Don't worry about those questions. I have the feeling that those are very basic and test your general feeling about technologies, the why's and the effectiveness of solutions at various circumstances. You are supposed to answer them in a few minutes. You just need to be less exam-focused and study things in a way that increases your understanding of when particular solutions are applicable. Just keep an open mind (since questions are also open), show true interest in your material beyond just configuring it, ask some questions to yourself, and you will make it. Also try some open-ended questions that various books have at the end of each chapter.

Most people say that the questions are not so hard. I don't know any specific question (I try to be very legal and try to prepare without looking inside), but just don't trust everything everybody says about CCIE exams. You just don't know how prepared people are for those exams and what kind of excuses they make for themselves. Focus on your studies and stop worrying. Anxiety about failure in most cases causes the actual failure. What you can do with anxiety, you can also do without anxiety and even better. Keep up with your preparation and you will eventually make it. The only sure thing is that hard work is required.

Ibbywannit Tue, 03/03/2009 - 16:32

Surely there must be somewhere on Cisco's website that they have a few samples of these supposed "open-ended" questions - maybe that would go some way to putting people's minds at rest.

enigma_1380 Tue, 03/03/2009 - 22:19

I agree with you marikakis to some extents.But the questions which were discussed,at least one of them,were not much straight that you think,so that the passed guys too could not answer it immediately .I too accept that a ccie should always remember all the general issues.But it seems that the questions are not necessarily easy and at least they should have put the pass limit to 3 from 5,not 5 from 5.

It`s not really a STANDARD method of testing.As I said,does a person have to leave the lab location if he could not answer all the open ended questions?Therefor so much skills of lab and so many months of studying and attempts and so much cost can be depended ONLY to a theory question!!

I`m really not convinced and if so,I will ask all the candidates from all the forums to do a consolidated contest against cisco.

marikakis Wed, 03/04/2009 - 00:18

The pass limit is NOT 5 out of 5. The result appears in a somewhat binary fashion (pass/fail).

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Career%20Certifications&topic=Certifications&topicID=.ee702b1&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Dpass_through%26location%3Doutline%40^1%40%40.2cc2fef2/2#selected_message

I guess this is to allow less leakage of scores and answers.

p.s. It seems we have an issue with URLs again, so try to copy the URL into your browser.

marikakis Wed, 03/04/2009 - 00:35

Also, now that you are not a CCIE yet, you are more worried about failing the lab. After you become a CCIE (I am sure you will if you focus on your studies instead of potentially wasting your valuable time to go against cisco) with so much effort and expenses in money, time and personal life, you will be more worried about other things, such as the value of the paper you have in hand and the fact that others can take the fast-food road to CCIE. When you will hear the unexpected suggestion from people that have a CCIE stamp on their forehead and forget to think, you are going to push your own head against the wall!

marikakis Wed, 03/04/2009 - 12:42

I am glad you look somewhat more calmed down. I think most people fail because of anxiety. I am not a very calm person myself, but I try to fight this defect in my personality with some harder work. It always helps. And don't believe what others say. Those lab exams are mythical and you just don't know how much people have tried to pass and what is too much work for people that failed. It is not a matter of intelligence. I keep saying that. If you like something, you keep working, you become better, you keep working because you are better and you like that you understand more, and that's pretty much the way it works.

Also, take some advice from marketing style talk: believe that you are a CCIE already, and behave like one from now on! Don't be afraid of any questions ;-)

And test your skills by answering questions in the forums. You help others and you learn even from your mistakes. Support is all about that: you make mistakes and you try not to make the same mistake again.

Hope this helps and when you get your CCIE, buy me a beer!

enigma_1380 Wed, 03/04/2009 - 21:41

Man I`m always calmed and if I see you some day I would by a dozen beer,not just one;)

Thanks a lot for your positive boosts.

marikakis Thu, 03/05/2009 - 12:05

Ok, I can't resist to respond. I am not a man. I am one of the few apparent ladies posting technicalities in the forum. In this conversation you could say that I play the cheerleader role!

I cannot drink so much beer! I would look like I am pregnant or something, and I would make beer sounds not normally expected from a lady!

Have fun in NetPro! I am curious to see your CCIE skills :-)

marikakis Fri, 03/06/2009 - 04:29

Sorry for the delayed answer, but I had to invent a cryptographic algorithm and update my profile first. You can try breaking the algorithm in my profile to find my address :-)

Actions

This Discussion