Views
Helpful
Replies

Trunk port in "err-disable state"

whiteford
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

In a remote office I have a 3650 and from it's 0/24 port there is a trunk to a Nortel switch. The Nortel switch has no managment (just out of the box). Anyway from time to time the trunk will shutdown and get this error:

sh log | inc 0/24

1w6d: %PM-4-ERR_DISABLE: loopback error detected on Fa0/24, putting Fa0/24 in err-disable state

Somebody suggested the possible reasons can be a link flapping, UDLD just to mention twom but these mean nothing to me :)

Any ideas?

6 Replies 6

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The message means the switch saw its own keepalive coming via a different port. This is a sign that multiple ports from the 3560 are connected to the Nortel switch.

Since this switch has no management, I recommend plugging just one port from the 3560 to the Nortel switch in order to avoid any loops.

See the explanation on this link regarding 'loopback error'

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk621/technologies_tech_note09186a00806cd87b.shtml#topicsub1

HTH,

__

Edison.

Thanks, but if I do a show ip int bri, the 3650 only shows 0/1 and 0/24 as up, 0/1 is the WAN port and 24 the trunk.

Try "sh interface 0/24 status" or "sh interface status err-disabled".

You can disable keepalives on the port connected to the Nortel switch.

You need to upgrade to 12.2SE in the 3560 switch.

I'm on 12.2(35)SE5

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card