cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

6708/6716 10GE Cards

katakana
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible to plug in only 1 10GE interface into a two port (6708) or four port (6716) block to get the full 10GE bandwidth?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Not sure where you got the 6716 module, but here is some information regarding the 6708 module:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/solutions/collateral/ns340/ns517/ns224/ns668/net_qanda0900aecd80534905.html

Q. Is the 8-port 10 Gigabit Ethernet module not oversubscribed if I only use half the ports?

A. Yes, you can use only ports 1, 2, 5, and 6 to provide 40 Gbps local switching. To make it easier for you to configure your network, we have a new software command for you to go into performance mode. The software command

router(config)#[no] hw-module slot x oversubscription

will administratively disable the oversubscribed ports (ports 3, 4, 7, and 8) and put them in "shutdown" state. In this mode, the user cannot do "no shut" on the disabled ports. When user do "show interface" on the disabled ports, the output will show "disabled for performance" to distinguish between normal port shutdown and shutdown for performance.

HTH,

__

Edison.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Not sure where you got the 6716 module, but here is some information regarding the 6708 module:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/solutions/collateral/ns340/ns517/ns224/ns668/net_qanda0900aecd80534905.html

Q. Is the 8-port 10 Gigabit Ethernet module not oversubscribed if I only use half the ports?

A. Yes, you can use only ports 1, 2, 5, and 6 to provide 40 Gbps local switching. To make it easier for you to configure your network, we have a new software command for you to go into performance mode. The software command

router(config)#[no] hw-module slot x oversubscription

will administratively disable the oversubscribed ports (ports 3, 4, 7, and 8) and put them in "shutdown" state. In this mode, the user cannot do "no shut" on the disabled ports. When user do "show interface" on the disabled ports, the output will show "disabled for performance" to distinguish between normal port shutdown and shutdown for performance.

HTH,

__

Edison.

katakana
Level 1
Level 1

Perfect. I thought that was the case but I couldn't find anything specific. After your reply I also found the same for the 16 port

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps708/qa_cisco_catalyst_6500_series_16port_10gigabit_ethernet_module.html

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

6500 cards can only obtain up to 40 Gbps bandwidth, so any card supporting more than 40 Gbps port density oversubscribes the card slot's bandwidth. Using less ports, such that 40 Gbps isn't exceeded, might provide full bandwidth to those ports but you should check how the bandwidth is allocated to ports (since the 40 Gbps per card slot is dual 20 Gbps channels).

Within the 6500 10 gig cards, I recall using every other port of the 6708 or every fourth port of the 6716 will work well with the slot's 40 Gbps.

However, although current literature has the 6704 as not being oversubscribed, before the 6702 was discontinued, only it was documented as providing 100% port wire speed bandwidth. The 6704 was then documented as being very slightly oversubscribed. If it was/is, same might be true with 6708 or 6716 even if only using 4 ports.

PS:

When working with 10 gig cards, you might also want to insure card has DFC (optional on 6704).

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Perfect.  Just the command I'm looking for.  +5 to all three of you!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card