Views
Helpful
Replies

Connecting two VTP domains over point to point link

ghanshyam.saini
Level 1
Level 1

What are the best options to:

1. Connect two different VTP domains on two diferent sites (campus)to access site to network from site 1. Media is FE p2p.

2. Or using single VTP domain is better option.

I have 4507 on both sides

4 Replies 4

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Ghanshaym,

you want to keep the two VTP domains separated the best choice is a routed point-to-point link that creates a natural boundary.

if you need to share vlans on both sides then it would be better to join the two VTP domains.

However, given the relatively low speed of the FE port(in a campus environment) I would prefer the first solution that minimizes traffic over the point-to-point link:

there are chances joining the two VTP domains to have hosts on one side in one shared vlan and the default gateway on the other side: in this case all vlan traffic has to go through the p-t-p link.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hi,

I have two options:

1. Connect both 4507 using p2p link and use access list to comtrol the traffic.

(different vtp domains)

2. Use Firewall ports on both sides to terminate the p2p link.

What you would suggest...

Thanks

Hello Ghanshyam,

if both sites belong to your company/your customer a routed point-to-point link between the two 4507 is enough.

if you are trying to build an extranet the security policy may require the usage of firewall ports

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Both sites belong to my company only.

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: