cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CME in Germany - need to return busy signal

ruttersean
Level 1
Level 1

I have a CME system in Germany running 4.2.

I am told that it is standard in Germany to return a busy tone to a caller when a phone is in use.

Of course on a dual-line ephone-dn a call waiting notification is delivered when the phone is in use but the caller receives a ringing tone back.

I need to preserve the dual-line config as the user requires missed call data.

For the same reason I cannot configure huntstop channel to dump the call direct to voice mail.

All I really want to do is substitue the rining tone for a busy tone then dump the call to VM after the NOAN timeout.

Is it possible on CME?

Thanks

8 Replies 8

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

No, it is not possible directly.

When you configure huntstop channel, you will never see calls that came while phone was busy.

I've wrote a TC/IVR script that lets you play a busy message to the caller, at the same time the call waiting is presented on an auxiliary DN. See:

http://pbevila.fastmail.fm/public/camp-on.tcl

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I know about the huntstop part.

The call will need to arrive at the phone as the phone maintains the call history.

I figued I would have to script something but wanted to check before I went down that route.

Many thanks for you link. I'll take a look and reply again later.

Thanks

Sean

Hi Sean,

You may look towards CME 7.0 (20T) with the Octoline feature.

With Octolines, you can specify the busy trigger and max calls just like CUCM.

-nick

Nick, the matter is that even with octolines or whatever busy trigger setting, a caller will hear ringback while the called is actually on a conversation.

What is desired instead, is to give a some sort of busy signal to the caller, while the called is made aware of the new incoming call.

ASAIK that is not possible out of the box with CME and not even CM.

Oh, why yes. That's quite silly. That would require some TCL scripts with prompts and such.

I would imagine that would break a lot of things. I'm fairly sure there are a lot of devices that do tone-detection on a busy signal and use it as signaling.

-nick

Hi Nick, the script is there, I posted the link above.

The motivation, at least as I've heard it, is that for calls between coworkers, they want to be have a positive indication if the called person is present and busy, as just a ringback could mean either person is absent or not taking the call, and this is not accepted.

To make everything more complicated, customer want to a differentiated treatment, depending if the call in internal or external. I've coded that also in my script.

Many legacy PBX provide this service, and even some PSTNs with differentiated ringback tones.

Guess you learn something new every day :)

-nick

Hi Nick, Paolo,

Paolo is on the money here. The CME system I installed has replaced a Siemens PBX.

The Siemens PBX was able to signal the called when busy, to inform them of a new call waiting and at the same time present a busy tone to the calling party.

The problem I have is that our external customers are used to this arrangement and now with CME they no longer receive the busy tone and apparently are annoyed by the voicemail service.

As I have not played with IVR or TCL so far, I have upgraded to CME7.0.1 and implemented the Octo-line and busy-trigger-per-button solution proposed by Nick.

This works well in that our external customers now receive the expected signal from our PBX. That's the main thing. My internal customers will not receive any notification but I can live with that for now.

Long term I'd like to implement Paolo's script (which pretty much does exactly what I need) or some similar IVR solution.

Thanks for your help guys.

Sean

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: