cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

EnergyWise

karl.dorme
Level 1
Level 1

Is there already a IOS with EnergyWise support available ?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Cisco IOS® Software Release 12.2(50)SE with EnergyWise has just been released (04 March 2009).

If you want to start configuring EnergyWise on the selected switches, here's some references for you:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/release/12.2_50_se/command/reference/cli1.html#wp10904924

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Depends on your appliance.

The initial platforms that will support Cisco EnergyWise include the Cisco Catalyst 2960, 3560, 3560-E, 3750, and 3750-E Series Switches. For fixed series switches, customers must upgrade to Cisco IOS® Software Release 12.2(50)SE with either the IP Base or IP Services feature set. This software will be available in February 2009.

For Cisco Catalyst 4500 Series Switches, customers must upgrade to Cisco IOS Software Release 12.2(52)SG, available in mid-2009.

Cisco EnergyWise is planned for the Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series Switches in the second half of calendar year 2009, in Cisco IOS Software Release 12.2(33)SXJ.

Additional support for other Cisco PoE products is in the planning stages.

Q & A: Cisco EnergyWise

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps10195/qa_c67-508150.html

Does this help?

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Cisco IOS® Software Release 12.2(50)SE with EnergyWise has just been released (04 March 2009).

If you want to start configuring EnergyWise on the selected switches, here's some references for you:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/release/12.2_50_se/command/reference/cli1.html#wp10904924

Hope this helps.

Thx !!! I'll download the software and give it a try !!!!

Thanks for the rating.

If you find something, let us know. I've also done the same thing and GHG (Green House Gas) is a big thing here.

Unfortunately, I'm still waiting for Cisco to produce some Configuration Examples.

I'm still unsure how EnergyWise will be able to communicate with a PC connected to a VoIP phone. I know that once enabled, the VoIP can turn off, however, what happens if someone decides to work after hours? Will EnergyWise "wake up" the VoIP phone? How does EnergyWise react to Microsoft's SMS package and the distribution of patches?

I'm studying the config but I'm not sure if I want to implement it right now.

Do a "sh energywise version" and you'll see that EnergyWise is still in it's infancy stage.

They say they are going to do some agent emulation for some of the preexisting protocols, in addition to client-side installable agents. I don't know if this will include Wake-On-LAN but I hope that will be the case.

I don't recall any details on the response of the system to manual activation, or facilities for manual override.

Right now mainly they expect us to play with AP power levels, I guess, until they ramp it up.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: