Helpful
Replies

LMS 2.6 / RME db size increasing.

pvignaud
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

LMS 2.6 / RME 4.0.6.

The rmeng.db file increased and I don't know why ?

I've around 2500 devices configured and not to many changes.

At the beginning the db file was :

jan 07 450MB

fev 10 1.2GB

and now

mar 04 1.7GB

Is it normal, that the rmeng.db increase like this.

By the past, I was forced by the TAC to reinit the db after the file reach a 4.5Gb file size.

Any ideas ?

Thanks.

Patrick Vignaud.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You should disable those settings which you don't care about. For me, I typically don't care Flash File:* (I check everything under Flash File), Flash Partition:Free, Memory Pool:Free, Memory Pool:Largest Free Block, Memory Pool:Used, Memory Pool:Lowest Free Block, Processor:NVRAM Used.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It depends on your configuration. The RME database can grow when there are a lot of Change Audit records (among other things). Some ways you can minimize the number of Change Audit records are to configure inventory change filters under RME > Admin > Inventory > Inventory Change Filter. Check the items for which you do NOT want change records to be generated.

Additionally, if you enable the Config Change Filter under RME > Admin > Change Audit > Config Change Filter, Change Audit records will not be created for vlan.dat archival. This can also save space.

That said, once the RME database grows, it does not shrink. Even purging old records will not cause the database to shrink. There is a procedure to rebuild the database which can reclaim space, but before you do that, you must go through and purge old configs and Change Audit records. The procedure to rebuild the database can be obtained from TAC. A database this large may take the rebuild some time, and LMS will be down.

Well,

I don't think that's related to Change Audit Records.

For the Inventory Change Filter, I only have the default (only sysUptime).

I've checked the change audit (vlan). We'll see if it change something.

I do not do "config mgmt" on this LMS.

For all these reasons, it seems to me, very strange to be growing like this.

And for the rebuilt procedure, I've done this by the past, on the same server.

Do the sybase has a db size limitation for v9 and v10 (LMS 2.6 and 3.x).

Thanks.

Patrick.

The fewer items you have checked in the Inventory Change filter, the MORE records will be generated, therefore the MORE the database will grow. You should check everything that you are NOT interested in being notified if it is changed.

You are not archiving any configurations on this server? That is, you are not entering any SNMP read-write or telnet/SSH credentials in DCR? If you are, then RME will try an automatically archive the configurations when the devices are added.

There are no pre-set database size limitations.

I was thinking, that the check is for change and not the negative way. In my case, I only have the sysuptime check. What means, all other fields are valid criterias for inventory polling but not the sysuptime ?

No configurations on this LMS.

Only read-only by bulk import csv.

Yes, any change in the other fields will generate a Change Audit record.

Do you've recommandation on Inventory Change Filter, group and different fields to consider for a regular/normal operation.

Or do I've to trust the default settings ?

Thanks.

You should disable those settings which you don't care about. For me, I typically don't care Flash File:* (I check everything under Flash File), Flash Partition:Free, Memory Pool:Free, Memory Pool:Largest Free Block, Memory Pool:Used, Memory Pool:Lowest Free Block, Processor:NVRAM Used.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: