Views
Helpful
Replies

OSPF - Route Re-distribution

bjssccouser
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I currently have several OSPF speaking Cisco devices setup (PIX 506, PIX 515, 1721, 2600).

I am redistributing static routes on one of the devices, which I only want 2 of the other devices to be aware of and not the rest. What would be the best way to acheive this? Would it be multiple OSPF areas or running a seperate instance of OSPF on these 2 devices?

Once this is setup, I'm assuming the devices that learn these routes, shouldn't then redistribute them on?

I can provide more information on the setup if required.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

8 Replies 8

andrew.prince
Level 10
Level 10

To be honest - configure a route filter on what you want to accept into the ospf process then what goes into the routing table.

HTH>

Thanks for the reply. I'm not familiar with route filters, would you be able to expand on this and provide a sample config?

The simplest way is to filter via a matching acl; like:-

access-list 1 deny 10.0.254.0 0.0.0.255

access-list 1 permit 10.0.0.0

router ospf 1

distribute-list 1 in interface fastethernet 0/0

So the ospf process would deny routes matching 10.0.254.0 not put them into the routing table, all other 10/8 routes would go into the routing table.

HTH>

The only problem is I have about 30 static routes on this particular device. This would mean creating an acl to match the 30 entries and setting this up on all the devices that should ignore the routes. I will certainly do this if there is no other way to achieve this.

Thanks

Sorry I am confused - static routes, I thought we were talking about OSPF?

Are you redistributing statics into OSPF?

Yes, I'm redistributing static routes into OSPF and I only want certain devices to accept them into their routing table.

OK the on the certain devices, filter out what you don't want in the routing table.

Hi,

You can tag the static routes and then just filter based upon the tag.

That way you only setup the filtering once

This might reduce your configuration a little and future changes are all done in one place (add route and tag).

Regards

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: