Setting up indoor mesh network

Unanswered Question
Mar 4th, 2009

I'd like to set up an 802.11n network, and the shape of my building suggests that 2 access points would do the job. If at all possible, I'd like to run an ethernet cable to only one of the access points. So it seems I need to setup a mesh network (similar to what appears can be done with the 1130 or 1240 series). Is this possible to do with the 1140 series (or in a worst case scenario the 1250 series)? Or is there another way to do this?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Paul

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Leo Laohoo Wed, 03/04/2009 - 15:24

First of, have you considered having a Wireless Site Survey conducted? A properly conducted Wireless Site Survey will eliminate guesswork: You know how many AP's are needed and where to install.

1140 vs 1250

1. Both the 1140 and the 1250 can do N Draft 2.0.

2. 1140 requires 15.4 watts of power. You need either a switch that will provide Standard PoE or a power injector/power brick.

3. 1250, on the other hand, requires 18.5 watts of power (if you intend to use BOTH radio modules). If you don't have a switch that will provide enhanced PoE (ePoE), such as the 3560-E & 3750-E, then you have the following options:

a. Remove one of the modules;

b. Power Injector (both radios fully operational).

c. Wireless LAN Controller using 5.2.X Firmware (full radios but signal strength is curtailed).

Other than what I just mentioned, the 1140 is designed for office environment: lots of walls, corners, compactors, glass, etc.

The 1250 is designed for industrial use: wide-open space such as aircraft hangars, warehouse, bunker, etc.

Hope this helps your choice.

paul_erion Thu, 03/05/2009 - 00:06

Thanks for your response. I did consider a site survey w/hardware, but I'm throwing caution to the wind and just going for it :-0 (i.e., given the size and shape of the building I doubt that one AP will cover it, but I "know" that 2 AP's will -- and when I have the AP's I'll take measurements and move them around to obtain optimum coverage).

But what I'm really trying to figure out is how to create a wireless network with at least 2 AP's, only one of which will have an ethernet connection. I believe one way to do this is with a mesh network and it appears that this can be done with the 1130 or 1240 series, but they do not support the 'n' standard (which I want). And if it's not possible to create a mesh network with the 1140 (or 1250) then I was wondering if there was some other means to accomplish my goal.

Thanks.

Actions

This Discussion