Views
Helpful
Replies

X25 Stress test on HWICs

echelon360
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Everyone,

Please advice if you have inputs on this.

I am trying to perform load testing on the ISR routers and would like to know the type of loads the HWIC cards are able to take. Cards to be used are the HWIC-4A/S, HWIC-8A/S and eventually the NM-16A/S.

We are running X.25 over XOT. I understand a single X.25 VC is able to load up a max of 256 channels? Hence, how would i simulate several channels over a single port? Would the use of sub interfaces be a practical solution?

7 Replies 7

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi, the number of VC you configure will not change much the performances.

What matters is the number of packet per second, you will find that you can load many E1 ports with full traffic on a router like 2821 and have no problem in handling them all just fine.

thanks for the response!

What i was planning to do was to limit the x25 packet size (x25 ips byte size) per subinterface and introduce a traffic generator to inject traffic based on 512/256 and 128bytes.

topology

host A --| test router --|Router DCE (A)--| Router DCE (B) --| test router -- host B

Hence, host A (linux) sending packets to host B

That is fine, you will find that since ultimately you're limited by the serial port speed, a modern router will use very little CPU in all cases.

Please remember to rate useful posts using the scrollbox below.

can you confirm if this is a valid option (i.e using subinterfaces to simulate no of channels per VC).

Yes. You can have multiple Vs per interface either using subinterfaces, or not.

would you be able to advice on directions?

Given that there are 256 possible channels that can be loaded onto a VC. Would a test require all 256 sub interfaces to be created? I assume once the load is at 100 channels (with loads either 512/256/128 bytes per VC)i will start to see performance issues.

I was looking at netperf to perform the traffic generation but this will not allow me to send packet streams across a subnet. Given there is a possible of 256 ip addresses to cover 256 channels, i was looking at a faster way to load traffic on all channels

Would you recommend a more suitable software to perfom this test?

Hi, what I'm trying to tell you, you will never see performance issues with an E1 on a ISR router.

You need to locate traffice generator that lets you subnets increments, etc. Unfortunately all the good ones are to be paid.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: