Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM upgrade to 7.0.2

egua5261
Level 1
Level 1

Hi There,

I'm planning to do the upgrade to CUCM 7.0.2. We currently run a cluster with CUCM 6.1.2 on two MCS7825 H3 servers, pub and sub. The main feature that we are looking to use is dual forking with Remote destinations.

I'm planning to do it first on a test environment, which currently run 6.1.2 on MCS7825H1 servers; but these do not have any licenses uploaded so I can't really test much i guess. I'm just wondering whether it will be worth binding the new PAK for version 7.0.2 to the MAC address of the testing server then after the testing I need Cisco to change it to the mac address of the production server.

Can someone please provide some feedback in terms of the upgrade to version 7.0.x. from 6.1.X. If it is not too complicated i will probably do it straight on the production servers rather than in the test environment first?

Also can someone tell me whether the Cisco Unity TSP drivers will need to be upgraded so that Unity will work with 7.0.2. The Cisco Unity TSP version currently is 8.1(2)?

Much appreciated,

Esteban

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hey Esteban,

I have the utmost faith in Unity/Unity Connection products, but I always prefer that these type of changes are not done remotely (call me paranoid :) That being said, I don't know of anyone who has had any issues with this TSP install.

My best advice here, would be to open a TAC Case and let them have a look at your planned procedures. I always do this for any major changes (again, call me paranoid). This way if anything does go south you have an engineer already assigned and familiar with your deployment.

Hope this helps! And best of luck!

Rob

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

jessakhanian
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am not sure if Cisco will easily re-generate a new license file for the production servers after you have played with the test servers. If you find out that they'll comply easily with that request, it's worth a shot.

We just upgraded to 7.0.2 from 7.0.1 (about a week after we upgraded from 6.1.2 to 7.0.1) and didn't run into any major issues. One word of advise would be to use the media as opposed to doing it via the ISO download image. It's much faster that way. If you have the ISO image, burn it to DVD and do it via the Local DVD drive as opposed to the Remote FileSystem. Also, you are loading this into the inactive partition firt and then activating after all servers get their upgrade. If you run into any issues, you can always roll back to the older version by switching partitions again. That's one of the coolest things about the appliance based call managers.

Hope this helps.

Joseph E.

Hi Joseph,

If i currently have 7.0.1 and 6.1.2 installed in the active and inactive partions respectively on the test environment. Can i install 7.0.2 on the inactive partition following the same procedure from Software Upgrades on the OS administration page?

I'm trying to do this and it is taking ages; I'm doing it from the DVD as you suggested using the ISO image. It has been going for more than an hour sitting there with a message saying trying to access the upgrade file. I'm just wondering whether if the two partitions are being used whether it will overwrite the inactive?

Cheers,

Esteban

Hi There,

The Upgrade as mentioned on my previoua post, to 7.0.2 failed with the following message, "Error encountered: An unknown error occurred while accessing the upgrade file. MD5 Hash value". See the screen shot attached. I followed the steps on this article (http://cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/rel_notes/7_0_2/cucm-rel_notes-702.html) in order to join the two ISO files for version 7.0.2 on to one ISO file. I then burn the ISO image file on to a DVD and tried to do the upgrade...

Does any anyone know how to get the MD5 sum right?

Cheers,

Esteban

H, don't worry about this. The MD5 sum check was correct. The problem was with the DVD itself. I re-burnt the image and this time worked fine.

Cheers,

Esteban

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Esteban,

Cisco Licensing is very,very good about re-homing these licenses when required. Just send an email to;

licensing@cisco.com

Something like this;

We recently aquired licenses tied to PAK xxxxxxxxxxx for our CUCM 7.x cluster. We have to replace the Publisher and now require the license to be re-homed to our new Publisher MAC AAABBBCCCDDD accordingly.

Here is the pertinent info;

End User Name - Bobmart.com

Legal Address

City,Country

Purchase Order Number - 111111

Sales Order Number - 2222333

Bill to ID - xxxxx

Ship to ID - xxxxxxxxx

Thanks in advance for all your help with this! Can you please email the new license to:

bob@mart.ca

For question#2 the TSP will need to be upgraded;

Supported Version Combinations for Cisco Unity, the Cisco Unity-CM TSP, and Cisco Unified Communications Manager

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/compatibility/matrix/cutspmtx.html#wp51076

Hope this helps!

Rob

If you build a CUCM 6 or 7 server you get 50 DLUs for test purposes. These disappear when you install a license file but would probably be able to support your testing.

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the info. It's great.

According to the link you sent me. It looks like i need to upgrade the TSP drives to 8.3(1). Can you please point me in the right direction on how to do this on Unity?

Cheers,

Esteban

Hi Esteban,

You are most welcome!

Downloading Cisco Unity-CM TSP Version 8.3(1)

Version 8.3(1) is automatically installed with Cisco Unity 7.0(2). Do the procedure in this section only if you are installing Cisco Unity-CM TSP 8.3(1) for use with a system running another supported version of Cisco Unity or Cisco Unity Connection.

To Download the Cisco Unity-CM TSP

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 1 Confirm that the Cisco Unity server or the Cisco Unity Connection server has at least 6 MB of hard-disk space available for the download file and the extracted files.

Step 2 Log on to a computer with a high-speed Internet connection, and go to the Voice and Unified Communications Downloads page at

http://tools.cisco.com/support/downloads/pub/Redirect.x?mdfid=278875240.

Step 3 In the tree control on the Downloads page, expand Unified Communications Applications > Voice Mail and Unified Messaging > Cisco Unity, and click Cisco Unity-CM TSP Version 8.3.

Step 4 On the Select Software page, click 8.3(1).

Step 5 In the right pane, click the link for the Cisco Unity-CM TSP 8.3(1).

Step 6 On the Download Image page, click Download.

Step 7 On the Supporting Documents page, click Agree.

Step 8 Follow the prompts to save the file to the default directory or to the directory of your choice.

Step 9 Unzip the file CiscoUnityCMTSP8.3.1.exe to the default directory or to the directory of your choice.

Step 10 Delete the file CiscoUnityCMTSP8.3.1.exe to free hard disk space.

Installing the Cisco Unity-CM TSP on a Cisco Unity System

Do the procedure in this section only if you are installing Cisco Unity-CM TSP 8.3(1) on a Cisco Unity system.

To Install the Cisco Unity-CM TSP on a Cisco Unity System

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 1 Stop Cisco Unity (right-click the Cisco Unity icon in the system tray, then click Stop Cisco Unity).

Step 2 Browse to the directory in which you saved the extracted Cisco Unity-CM TSP files in the "Downloading Cisco Unity-CM TSP Version 8.3(1)" section, and double-click SkinnySetup.exe.

Step 3 Follow the on-screen prompts.

Step 4 Restart the Cisco Unity server.

From this good doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/tsp/release/notes/831tsprelnotes.html#wp42760

Hope this helps!

Rob

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the detailed instructions. The current version of Unity that we run in our environment is 4.2(1), which runs on win2000. I have downloaded the file as per your instructions. I will proceed to install it; however do you have any idea how long this process will take?

Also, will Unity be communicating with UCUM 7.0.2 as soon as the unity server boots up or is there any else required after that to get them talking again?

Cheers,

Esteban

Hi Esteban,

You are most welcome my friend! The longest part of this TSP install will be the time it takes to re-boot Unity itself (10-15 minutes) but the system will be out of service during this time so doing this during a Maintenance window is recommended.

There should be no further configuration required as far as the integration between CUCM and Unity is concerned.

Hope this helps!

Rob

Hi Rob,

Thanks again for your prompt response!

Two more last things before i go ahead. Can this be done remotely?

In case I will need to roll back to the older version, if it doesnt work for any reason, do i just follow the same procedure and install the file for the 8.2(1) version?

Regards,

Esteban

Hey Esteban,

I have the utmost faith in Unity/Unity Connection products, but I always prefer that these type of changes are not done remotely (call me paranoid :) That being said, I don't know of anyone who has had any issues with this TSP install.

My best advice here, would be to open a TAC Case and let them have a look at your planned procedures. I always do this for any major changes (again, call me paranoid). This way if anything does go south you have an engineer already assigned and familiar with your deployment.

Hope this helps! And best of luck!

Rob

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your help. The TSP upgrade on my environment went without any issues. I followed the intructions on the link you sent. It took me no longer than 15 minutes.

I'm now going to work in the CUCM upgrade from 6.1.2 to 7.0.2. As far as I have read it seems to be a straight forward process. Any tips on this will be much appreciated...

Cheers,

Esteban

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: