cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

route map Vs static route

kian_hong2000
Level 1
Level 1

I am curious with using route map and static route....

i know that route map are used to redirect or filter the packets within the vlan......correct me if i am wrong

In which cases does route map the prefer choice over static route?

I also notice that in some networks a static route would be a straignt forward approach......but they prefer to use route map...correct me if my concept is wrong again

2 Replies 2

JamesLuther
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

Route maps are processed before the routing table. Therefore route-map decisions are prefered.

Within a route-map there is a match condition. So only traffic matching the condition will get the set action. With a static route then everyting will use that route. So if someone has used a route-map for routing there should be a policy decision based around that.

Anupam Datta
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!,

Routemap is the best choice when you required source based routing.Static route does destination based routing.Let say you need to Route some prefixes or those matching some criteria would be routed through Link A and Others will be using B, then Routemap is the choice over static Routes.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card