Upgrading from CS 3.0.5 and RME 4.0.5 to CS 3.0.6 and RME 4.0.6

Unanswered Question
Mar 5th, 2009
User Badges:

Hello, was wondering if we wanted to upgrade from CS 3.0.5 and RME 4.0.5 to CS 3.0.6 and RME 4.0.6, will we lose all of our historical data for each device in RME? If so, I know we should perform a backup from within Ciscoworks, but one of the servers (we have 2 servers running LMS 2.6 on Solaris 9) will not complete a backup. We tried it from the command line and you can see it backing up the databases, but it just hangs towards the end. One time we left it overnight, came in the next morning and it was still hung. Any suggestions????

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Joe Clarke Thu, 03/05/2009 - 10:26
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

No, the upgrade will not cause any data loss. However, it is ALWAYS a good idea to take a backup before applying any service pack updates just in case something goes wrong.

A hang trying to backup a database points to corruption. What database is hanging the backup?

didentx01 Thu, 03/05/2009 - 14:45
User Badges:

Campus Manager. But I just tried the backup utility from Ciscoworks to a directory I created, and it completed with no issues. Can I run a dbvalid just to make sure the databases are good? If so what are the dbvalid commands for CM, RME, CS and DFM?

Joe Clarke Thu, 03/05/2009 - 17:14
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

The backup automatically runs dbvalid on each database. However, you can manually perform the operation on the live databases by running:

NMSROOT/bin/perl NMSROOT/objects/db/conf/configureDb.pl action-validate dsn=DSN

Where DSN is one of ani, cmf, rmeng, dfmInv, dfmEpm, or dhmFh.

Actions

This Discussion