cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Dropping packets to the controller from switch

srosenthal
Level 4
Level 4

I have a 4404 connected to a 3750G. When I ping from the switch to the controller with anything above 250 byte packet I loose pings. The larger the packet the more loss. I am setup with LAG and have the switch configure to only allow the VLAN's needed. I have tried using both copper and fiber GBIC's and still get the same result. I even tried another switch and still drop packets. I factory cleared the 4404 and started over and still dropping packets.

Any suggestions? This condition is keeping the AP's from staying connected to the controller.

Seth

4 Replies 4

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Srosenthal,

Have you checked your switch port for erros? Can you check.

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

I did check the switch port and the port channel and no errors on either switch. I worked with the TAC yesterday and they could not pinpoint the problem either. They are going to send me another controller.

We were able to get the AP's to register right away when placed in layer 2 mode. However, the controller is still dropping pings. It only drops pings across the layer 3 network. But, when I try to ping another device on the same network as the controller, it works fine.

Seth

Yea, that is odd behavior. You would expect to see something on the switch interface status.

Cant say I ran into that before. Keep us updated on your progress.

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

FYI - Replacment controller fixed drop packet problem.

Seth

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card