Views
Helpful
Replies

Voice gaps when roaming with 7921

p-vincent
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have a setup with 3 ap1242 and UC520, no WLC. When moving around with a CP7921 there is a voice gap (about 2-3 seconds) when the 7921 switches from AP. The call does not get disconnected.

IOS running on AP:

c1240-k9w7-mx.124-10b.JA

Phone version:

CP7921G-1.2.1

Can anyone help me figure out what causes this problem?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

There is an issue with the autonomous AP (CSCsx07150), where CCKM is failing. This appears to be handing the TSPEC that we send for SCCP traffic (UP4).

The workaround here is to enable "admit-traffic" under the ssid config. In the AP webpage, it is listed as "Call Admission Control", which will add the admit-traffic command.

Below is an example:

dot11 ssid voice

vlan 21

authentication open eap eap_methods

authentication network-eap eap_methods

authentication key-management wpa cckm

admit-traffic

This will go into the next 7921/7925 Deployment Guide to ensure that admit-traffic is always enabled.

View solution in original post

37 Replies 37

migilles
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You are trying to roam between a UC520 and an AP1240?

The gap is on the receive side of the 7921 correct?

The UC520 does not support any roaming protocols (i.e. IAPP, LWAPP), so this is not a supported design.

No not exactly.. The UC520 does not have wifi enabled. there are 3 ap1240's and they do the roaming and wifi part. So when someone is on the move with his phone, the phone is roaming from AP to AP.

When i run the show dot11 adjacent-ap I can see all three Access-points in the feedback.

But i'm new to this voice roaming part so don't know what to do next.

Ok that design is supported, but all 3 APs need to be in the same native VLAN.

Also they need to have the same authentication/encryption config. Basically all APs should have the same config, except for hostname, IP address and radio channl & power config.

If you want to attach your configs excluding any password info, will try to assist you further.

That's exactly what I thought, same config except that channels, ip addresses and hostnames are different. I 've configured them so that there's a channel 1 AP, a channel 6 AP and a channel 11 AP.

In the logging of the AP's i can see the following messages:

*Mar 6 07:43:56.301: %DOT11-6-ASSOC: Interface Dot11Radio0, Station SEP002255D4

XXXX 0022.55d4.b48d Reassociated KEY_MGMT[NONE]

*Mar 6 07:43:56.361: %DOT11-6-ROAMED: Station 0022.55d4.xxxx Roamed to 0023.ea0

0.xxxx

*Mar 6 07:43:56.361: %DOT11-6-DISASSOC: Interface Dot11Radio0, Deauthenticating

Station 0022.55d4.xxxx

*Mar 6 07:43:56.365: %DOT11-4-MAXRETRIES: Packet to client 0022.55d4.xxxx reach

ed max retries, removing the client

In attach you can find the configs.

Thx for your help

pv

I see that you do not have dot11 arp-cache enabled on all AP's, I would recommend to enable that on all. Also, I do not see any QoS in your configuration in giving priority to Voice.

What does your switchport configuration look like that is connected to each access point?

Hi bayj,

I have enabled the dot11 arp-cache on all access points. I'm not in the office now but I can test tomorrow. True about the QoS part, but the Data SSID is used only for rdp connections from a few laptops.

The switchports are configured like this:

interface FastEthernet0/21

switchport voice vlan 100

srr-queue bandwidth share 10 10 60 20

srr-queue bandwidth shape 10 0 0 0

mls qos trust device cisco-phone

mls qos trust cos

auto qos voip cisco-phone

spanning-tree portfast

spanning-tree bpduguard enable

Your switchport configuration should be set to trunk mode for each access point. Look at this for assitance:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a0080665ceb.shtml

Then enter in the command on the switchport to allow only VLAN's 1 and 100.

mobility group have any impact ?

Hi all,

I've set dot11 arp-cache on all APs, have changed every switchport connected to AP into trunk.

Problem stays the same. Voice gap for about 2-3 seconds. When walking around with the 7921 i can see that the phones displays the following message "leaving service area".

I think that mobility groups are not supported on APs without WLC, correct?

can you configure something special so that roaming can occur earlier or faster? Or can it be that the gaps occur due to authentication? there is a mac-address filter configured, can this slow the roaming down? don't know actually.. is my first voip roaming nasty problem.

I see you are using static WEP, so need to ensure they key is identical in all APs. You could try to remove WEP and just use open to see if that helps.

There was an issue a long while back that would cause a long gap if the phone was deauthenticated while using WEP, but if using 1.2(1) then should be fine.

encryption vlan 100 key 1 size 40bit 7 transmit-key

Also could try to remove the MAC authentication and re-test. Appears that you are doing local MAC authentication here and the list looks the same.

Can you also try to remove the guest mode from the voice ssid and see if that helps?

Remove the following:

guest-mode

mbssid guest-mode

Also is not advised to use VLAN 1 as the native VLAN for autonomous APs as the IAPP roaming protocol uses the native VLAN. Recommend to deploy a dedicated VLAN.

Some other comments on your config below:

I would suggest to enable "dot11 arp-cache optional". ARP-cache mandatory was only enabled in AP03 config, but shouldn't really trigger this roaming delay.

Would also recommend to reset the beacon period to 100ms. You have it currently set to 20ms.

Reset packet retries to the default 32. You currently have 100.

You also are using the max power. Is recommended to configure this statically.

Below is an example:

Interface Dot11radio0

power client local

power local cck 30

power local ofdm 30

Can use the following QoS policy and apply to the radio interface for each vlan.

class-map match-all RTP

match ip dscp ef

class-map match-all SCCP

match ip dscp cs3

!

policy-map data

class class-default

set cos 0

policy-map voice

class RTP

set cos 6

class SCCP

set cos 4

We are having exactly the same issue. Authentication here is wpa with cckm and the problem occours with phone load 1.2.1 or 1.3.2 (CP-7921). Phones with load 1.1.1 do not have this problem at all.

Would advise you to open a TAC case then. There are known issues in this regard. Will need to provide a wireless sniffer trace with your wlc/ap config.

Thank you for your reply. I have opened a SR and got some advice what to reconfigure on the APs. As soon as there are results I will post it here. The engineer seems not to know about any issues in this regard.

Thanks for your reply.

The static WEP key is identical in all APs. I've tried to use open and allso removed the MAC authentication. But that didn't solved the problem.

I need to test removing Guest mode and the mbssid and will do that asap.

dot11 arp-cache is enabled on all APs now, and like you said this doesn't solve the roaming delay.

The beacon period and packet retries are adjusted to test other settings after the roaming delay was noticed. So that are some testing values. I will reset them to default.

Power and QOS will be adjusted asap. I will let you know if anything changes.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: