Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP Default-Originate

Jasonch518_2
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have an eBGP peer with one of my customers, and we currently only send them a default route, using the default-originate command.

When they reboot their router, the session drops of course, but when it comes back up, the session established, but they do not seem to have the default route from the default-originate command, but if I do a soft clear out on the BGP session on our side, everything works great again.

This is kind of annoying, and I was wondering if anyone has experienced this problem before, and has a solution.

I do not have a snapshot of their routing table when this happens yet, but I am working on getting that.

Oddly, I was unable to reproduce this, so I guess it could be something with their configuration, but I am not sure what to look for on their end, as far as configuration that would cause this.

Thanks for any help.

5 Replies 5

Peter010101
Level 1
Level 1

Try the neighbor soft-reconfiguration-inbound command.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/11_3/np1/configuration/guide/1cbgp.html#wp10995

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sounds like a bug, what version of IOS are you running on your routers?

__

Edison.

I do have soft reconfiguration inbound, but do not think that is playing a factor.

As far as code, I am running:

(s72033_rp-ADVIPSERVICESK9_WAN-M), Version 12.2(33)SXH4, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

This is a catalyst 6500, with a sup720 3bxl.

The customer side is running 12.4(21) advanced ip services on a 3700 series router.

Do you see the 0.0.0.0 being advertised on the show ip bgp ne x.x.x.x advertise-routes ?

__

Edison.

Yes.

As an update, I was able to do some more testing, and after the reload of the router, when the session comes back up, they do in fact learn the default route, and it is in the BGP table, however it is not being used, the default route from their iBGP neighbor is being used, so all outbound traffic is going that way,to their backup provider, and inbound is coming in our connection still.

I did some more in depth looking through their show ip route and show ip bgp output, and noticed that after a reload, the AS_PATH for the default route for our connection is now 2 AS deep, our AS, and then one of our upstream providers AS, who we accept a default from.. which would be why it does not use our patch any more, since it is longer.

But problem still seems to be the same though, what causes that default route to be the one in our routing table, instead of default originate.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco