Views
Helpful
Replies

Questions on unity 5.x VM only failover configuration

shzhang
Level 1
Level 1

Some questions on unity 5.x VM failover configuration:

1. Should the MS exchange server be installed on Pri Unity server, or Sec Unity server or both?

2. Which server should be the Doamin Controller?

Thanks!

Steve

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

read this doc:

Requirements for Cisco Unity Failover

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/5x/requirements/50cusysreq.html#wp472908

both questions are answered there, i just checked.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

HTH

java

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

read this doc:

Requirements for Cisco Unity Failover

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/5x/requirements/50cusysreq.html#wp472908

both questions are answered there, i just checked.

HTH

java

HTH

java

this docu is good. thanks!

We're working on this kind of installation. So the message store wil be on the secondary server.

But what will happen if this secondary server fails ?

Will I still be able to let new voice mail and to hear voice mail on the primary ?

Thanx,

Bastien.

If Exchange is on the secondary server and the server fails, you will not have access to any of your old messages and current messages will be stored in the UnityMTA folder on Unity until it sees Exchange is back up and can deliver them.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_tech_note09186a00800949fa.shtml#umr_conversation_msgaccss

Hope that helps,

Brad

Follow up questions. Just want to confirm that both LIC file and backup data have to be installed on PRI server. Right?

Not sure what you mean by "backup data"... but yes, the license files are only installed on the primary server which replicate over to the secondary.

Brad

I build unity 5.0 on new hardware and I mean to backup the data from old unity and restore to new unitys. Since I have failover config, which server I should do restore on? Pri or Secondary, assuming exchange server is installed on secondary unity?

Thanks!

I think I understand your question...

If you took a backup from an old Unity server that was previously a failover pair, the backup is always taken from the secondary Unity server.

You should have the new Unity server built and functional, then perform the DiRT restore. If you plan on having a failover pair in your new migration as well, once the the DiRT restore is confirmed functional, then you would run Failover Configuration Wizard to replicate/overwrite any existing data on the secondary.

Hope that helps,

Brad

Thanks for quick response. My case is from a single old unity to two new unitys (failover) migration. When I preform the DiRT restore, to which new unity server I should restore data, Pri or Sec, assuming the exchange server is installed on seconary unity only.

Thanks!

You would perform the restore onto a clean primary server, then run FCW per the guide.

http://www.ieng.net/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/5x/failover/guide/ex/5xcufge010.html#wp1280717

Brad

OK, but the data store (exchange) is installed on seconary unity, I am wendering where the users message go if I do DiRT before configure failover?

Thanks!

You should have already ran MSCW on both primary and secondary server that point it to the new mail store on the secondary. When you perform a DiRT restore, you're then prompted to re-run MSCW again. That's how it'll know which server its partnered with.

Brad

OK, many thanks! I will let you know if I have any problem.

Steve

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: