Helpful
Replies

FWSM multi context clarifications

gautamzone
Level 1
Level 1

Dear friends,

Two questions on FWSM in multi context and routed mode

1. For me to do a FWSM upgrade, is it a mandatory step to define vlans on the admin context? IS it not possible for the system context to use the vlans off another working context (other than admin context) to connect the tftp server and upload the image?

2. On a production FWSM with inter-chassis failover, is there any harm in adding vlans to the firewall vlan-group in 1 chassis and then going to the other chassis and adding it as well. What i mean is will it disturb the failover relationship when i am doing this? If so, i may have to do it during a test window. Just a FYI that the new vlan to be added to the vlan-group is not in production.

Requesting for your kind inputs on this

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

1. You cannot configure any IP addresses in system context (FT links are the only exception). Its not possible to upgrade using system context only.

2.I dont see any harm.

Syed

View solution in original post

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

1) As far as i know the system context can only use the admin context for network connectivity. So your admin context needs to be able to connect to the tftp server.

2) Should be fine, just don't forget to update the other chassis or that will break failover. I haven't checked the latest releases but when will Cisco automatically propogate this information between chassis - seems an obvious thing to do to me.

Jon

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

1. You cannot configure any IP addresses in system context (FT links are the only exception). Its not possible to upgrade using system context only.

2.I dont see any harm.

Syed

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

1) As far as i know the system context can only use the admin context for network connectivity. So your admin context needs to be able to connect to the tftp server.

2) Should be fine, just don't forget to update the other chassis or that will break failover. I haven't checked the latest releases but when will Cisco automatically propogate this information between chassis - seems an obvious thing to do to me.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card