cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Debug Packet !

illusion_rox
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, i have been trying to use debug Packet command on cli ( with terminal monitor on). But i am not able to see any result ? why is that so. I can see various other debug results but i couldnt see a single line shown after debug packet. Is this command not working anymore or is there any other issue ??

8 Replies 8

adamclarkuk_2
Level 4
Level 4

Hi

This command does work but will only show packets that are process switch and not cef switched. If you ping an IP address on the router and debug for that, you will see output.

[Correction]

Adding a log entry to line on the ACL attached to the interface will force the packet to be punted to the CPU and also show up in the output.

hxxp://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_0/debug/command/reference/dipdrp.html#wp4599

I have disabled cef switching but still i am not able to see any output :(

Added an ACL to your interface with a log against the entry you want to see

example below :-

access-list 100 permit ip host 1.1.1.1 host 2.2.2.2 log

access-list 100 permit ip host 2.2.2.2 host 1.1.1.1 log

access-list 100 permit ip any any

interface FastEthernet0/0

ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.252

ip access-group 101 in

Router#debug ip packet 100

Dear Adam, i am focusing deb packet command not deb ip packet :(

This command also only shows packets that have been process switched, so the ACL attached to the interface with a log solution I suggested should also work.

From cisco.com

hxxp://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3/debug/command/reference/dbg_p1g.html#wp1089791

Usage Guidelines

The debug packet command displays all process-level packets for both outbound and inbound packets.

Adam,

Just wanted to say thanks much. Adding the access list (with the log option) on the appropriate interface, did it for me. It produced the results I wanted. Before I was not able to see the expected output from packets to  the far end device, after the acl I could see activity to the destinations of interest.

Where would we be without this forum and others like it?

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

On the interface you are trying to debug do a "no ip route-cache " .

Hi Glen

Not sure how that will help as the log entry forces the packet to be process switched as can be observed with the command

show interface x/x stats

I have not been able to get any output from debug packet but the command 'debug ip packet detail' should give you all the info you need.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card