Views
Helpful
Replies

Not able to Ping HSRP virtual ip

yuchenglai
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

Has anyone ever received "TTL expired in transit" when trying to ping an HSPR virtual IP address?

11 Replies 11

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

What does the config look like for your interfaces? I've never received it, no.

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

adamclarkuk_2
Level 4
Level 4

Can you ping the physical IP's of the 2 HSRP peers ?

yes

There are other HSRP virtual IP that I can ping and receive a "normal" reply of: "Reply from x.x.x.1: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=255"

It just seems that when I ping certain HSRP virtual IP address, the TTL of the echo-reply packet gets set to 0, versus a TTL of 255 in a normal echo-reply for the HSRP virtual IP.

Hi

1. Are you pinging this from the local subnet.

2. Can the peers communicate correctly, ie one is active and the other standby

3. Is the the virtual MAC correct and from the device you are testing it from, has it resolved correctly ( 0000.0c07.ac )

4. Are you using different GRP numbers for each setup

What does "show standby" show for that group?

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

Adam,

Yes, affirmative to all 4 questions

Remove the configuration from one side so only one interface is configured and see if you can ping both the physical and the VIP, also try the other side with or without success.

Also as suggested, can you show us the output of

show standby

for that group

c.captari
Level 1
Level 1

Hi.

First of all narrow your problem to the core.

If TTL expires in transit it means that in the process of reaching the ip destination the packet got stuck in a loop , thus eventually the TTL is reaching 0 and is discarded with an ICMP message "TTL expired in transit"

In your case i bet that your ping does not even reach your HSRP ip address but stops somewhere in the path.

You can verify where is the loop occuring by traceroute to the HSRP ip address.

Than go to the routers which are creating the loops and investigate your routing table. It may be that you are missing information to route that packet to the destination.

I wish I did the traceroute to see where my ping stops in the path. Oddly enough it is the standby router that returns the ICMP message "TTL expired in transit." I wish I had done this prior to shutting down the physical SVI that comprised the HSRP group. I subsequently "no shut" SVI on the routers of the HSRP group, and then, I was able to ping the HSRP virtual IP.

keep in mind that the ping request was sourced from a client machine destined to its default gateway which is the HSRP virtual ip

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco