UC520 volume for phones

Unanswered Question
Mar 6th, 2009
User Badges:

Hi again all. Im trying to help a customer out that has a UC520. They complain that the volume on the phones is low when trying to conference someone in. I have walked them through turning their volume up when offhook, but they say its still not loud enough. Is there a system control that I might be able to turn up for volume control in the UC520 config? Any help appreciated.

Overall Rating: 4 (2 ratings)
Nicholas Matthews Fri, 03/06/2009 - 12:00
User Badges:
  • Red, 2250 points or more

You may benefit from this command if it is specific to conferencing:

telephony-service

max-conferences gain 6

hth,

nick

jjoseph01 Fri, 03/06/2009 - 12:04
User Badges:

Ill try that out. Thanks for the help. Does that raise the volume up for conf?

Nicholas Matthews Fri, 03/06/2009 - 12:14
User Badges:

Yes, the gain is 6 dB, which is roughly twice as loud. dB's aren't linear, but an extra 3 dB roughly doubles the volume.

hth,

nick

robertdm1973 Mon, 03/09/2009 - 12:26
User Badges:

Thanks Nick, another good post.

What if the problem is on the ringback volume, which is low. Will this command be helpful?

My user is calling something like this:

PBX - fxo - GW - IP - GW - fxo - PBX

And the frequent complain is low volume for both voice and ringback.

Regards,

Robert

Nicholas Matthews Mon, 03/09/2009 - 12:34
User Badges:

Hi Robert,

Here you can 4 different things.

On either of the 2 voice ports, you can set either of these settings:

voice-port 0/0/0

input gain

output attenuation -

So in this case you can make the voice louder by doing an 'input gain 5' on both voice ports. Or, you could do 'input gain 5' 'output attenuation -5' on one voice port.

The commands are just as how they sound - input gain raises the volume on incoming voice from the FXO, and output attenuation makes it quieter. In this case the attenuation is a negative value so it makes the output louder.

hth,

nick

robertdm1973 Mon, 03/09/2009 - 15:06
User Badges:

Hi Nick, this is helpful for voice but no significant effect on the ring back. The caller will still hear a 'muffled' ring.

Is there any command just for ringback tones?

Have seen this command but I think it's only for those not hearing any ringback at all:

progress_ind setup enable 3

Thanks,

Robert

Nicholas Matthews Mon, 03/09/2009 - 15:39
User Badges:

Hi Robert,

If these are FXO/FXS ports then there shouldn't be any difference between the ringback and normal voice. It's possible that the device generating ringback doesn't have a very loud ringback. I filed a bug on the Ringback from CUE on the UC520 but I don't think that's the case here.

I would try increasing the values to very high values and see if the ringback is improved at all. If not, then you may not have any other options.

-nick

Actions

This Discussion