Views
Helpful
Replies

4 Port Serial Adaptor

ravinderrajput
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

We have 7200VX series router which has 4 port -PA 4T serial adapter.If we populate each port with an E1, then is possible to route all the bandwidth into the LAN through a single Ethernet port,or do we need 4 Ethernet ports.

Thanks in advance.

3 Replies 3

Istvan_Rabai
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Ravinder,

4x E1 lines have a bandwidth of 4x2048 kbits/s which is 8192 kbits/s (8.192 Mbits/s).

An Ethernet port has 10Mbits/s so it should be able to handle that traffic.

A problem may arise if the Ethernet port connects to a shared Ethernet segment saturated with traffic.

In this case the Ethernet port will not have its entire bandwidth available.

But if the Ethernet port connects to a switch with higher speed uplink ports then I think there should not be a problem.

Cheers:

Istvan

Hi Istvan,

Thank you very much for your reply.

If we connect the ethernet port to a Cisco 3500 Catalyst then we should not face any problem.?

I would also like to know how do we do routing in this case.we plan to use static routes.

Hello Ravinder,

it is very important to setup a 10 Mbps full-duplex link:

half-duplex supports up to 3.3 Mbps per direction.

So verify the ethernet port is capable of full-duplex I remember some PA with 4 Ethernet or 8 ethernet ports not capable of full-duplex operations.

Once this is solved you can use static routes

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card