AP Group Roaming Question

Unanswered Question
Mar 7th, 2009

I understand if a client in 1 ap group moves to another ap in another ap group its a later 2 roam and the IP address from ap group 1 is kept in tact while on the same controller.

Doing a lab and was wondering if anyone knew a way to delete this 'table' that once the client joing ap with ap group 2 that i could run so that client would get the ap group 2 ip address.

I have tryed clearing arp after the roaming, rejoin the client many times, cleared the IP address on the client etc ... client still gets address from ap group 1....

again, just a lab ...

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Johannes Luther Sat, 03/07/2009 - 23:27

I guess this is not a layer-2 roam if a client changes to an AP with another IP context. This is more a layer-3 roam.

The client is in the controllers "client" table. If the client L3-roams, it keeps the IP in the table. Until the client is in that table, it'll keep that IP (because it's tunneled to the old IP context). Try to play with the client timeout values or - in the lab - manually delete the client from the client table and associate again.

Johannes Luther Sun, 03/08/2009 - 06:31

No luck with

"show client summary" ?

Then the client should get the IP context of the interface the AP-group is attached to

Andrew MacTaggart Thu, 11/08/2012 - 19:21

If you disable Ip helper-address on mgmt vlan it forces clients to get new IP

so for me

vlan 10 ap group A subnet 1

vlan 20 ap group B subnet 2

mgmt interface vlan - no dhcp-helper - also not native vlan

not sure if this is if the code has changed or if I just broke it by accident

also mgmt interface on wlc has dhcp set to 0.0.0.0

Cheers

A

Saravanan Lakshmanan Thu, 11/08/2012 - 22:00

if roamed from and to ap group has different subnets then its L3 roaming on same wlc, it is L2 roaming if both ap group wlan mapped to interface group using similar vlan pools. 

deauth the client will help. enabling dhcp required and trying release renew may still dont help.

static interface selection happens before auth and dyn int selection happen after auth success, so i think only breaking the auth would get ip from ap group2 bcoz once interface is selected it has to forward the dhcp req to that interface.

clearing the arp on wlc/switch may not help.

who is the dhcp server, are proxy enabled/disabled, what auth used, get show client detail and client debug.

Actions

This Discussion