Views
Helpful
Replies

Help me understand a NAT/VPN issue

jesper_petersen
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I've stumbled upon something that I cannot explain and I could use some help in order to understand what is happening :)

The problem, as I see it, is as follows (in short terms):

My router seems to do NAT on the return packets on an incoming connection that arrives via the VPN connection. This only happens to packets that are using ports that I have forwarded using ip nat inside source static...

I am using nat exempt for the VPN connections. The NAT exempts are working just fine except when they seem to "collide" with port forwardings.

This translation entry is listed after i try to telnet from a 10.0.0.x host to 10.45.131.23 port 80:

Cisco_1811#sh ip nat t | inc 10.0.0.

tcp 172.16.0.64:80 10.45.131.23:80 10.0.0.6:1872 10.0.0.6:1872

How can I make the router not do NAT at all on the VPN connections?

I'm suspecting it's because I'm using route-map instead of lists in the NAT overload statement.

P.S.

The router has 172.16.0.64 as its "public" ip and the config is attached to this message.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yudong Wu
Level 7
Level 7

You can try to add a route-map which will deny all VPN related traffic on all static nat entries.

ip nat inside source static tcp 1.1.1.1 80 2.2.2.2 80 route-map xxx

By the way, It seems your vpn config is incomplete. I did not see pre-share key and peer ip are configured.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Yudong Wu
Level 7
Level 7

You can try to add a route-map which will deny all VPN related traffic on all static nat entries.

By the way, It seems your vpn config is incomplete. I did not see pre-share key and peer ip are configured.

kwu2 wrote:

Hi kwu2

Just wanted to thank you. You were correct

And for others in the same sitaution here is a link to a blog that describes the problem and fix.

http://www.ciskoblog.com/2008/02/static-nat-inac.html

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: