cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Inexpensive JBOD's that support private loop?

bfeeny
Level 1
Level 1

I am currently assembling a storage lab, and need to add some disk arrays. There are many out there that are just regular fc-al devices that don't support flogi (public). Can someone tell me what are some arrays which I can target that may be cheap (<$500 or so on ebay), older, etc. They don't have to have large disks in them, but I would prefer to stay optical.

So far I see the NetApp DS14Mk2's are one option. The ideal box would be 2U or so and not a big power sucking array that I need a forklift to rackmount :).

6 Replies 6

inch
Level 3
Level 3

G'day,

You can try any of the sun A5xxx range or the sun T3's. They should be pretty cheap these days (they are a bit heavy tho!)

Cheers

inch, thanks. My understanding is that the A5XXX sun JBOD's are not fabric aware, that they are just FC-AL private loop devices. I am not sure of the T3's but I thought perhaps the same. I am specifically looking for something that I can do a FL port with the MDS, instead of a TL port.

I found a link which shows which storage arrays are "fabric aware" as far as Brocade is concerned:

http://www.brocadekorea.com/download/products/BrocadeCompatibilityMatrix_4_27_04.pdf

Does Cisco have a similar compatibility document for MDS? If not, can I assume for the most part that if its fabric aware on a Brocade its likely to work with the MDS in the same fashion?

Brian

Hi,

There is a compat matrix but generally it is from the partners (ie: emc will support x, HP will support y).

I've only ever seen one thing not work properly with the MDS' which was a ATTO fibre channel bridge which did not conform to the FC standards.

That being said, Cisco coded around it to make it work (pre sanos 1.0 days).

I would assume, if its fibre channel, it will work :)

It can be public loop, private loop and point to point and it will work :)

Sorry mate,

Your topic title said private loop... any specific reason why private loop won't do the trick?

no reason why private wont work. Three of my JBOD's in my lab are private and I just wanted one that was public to have some variety. I heard Gen2 doesn't support TL ports anymore, and I may want to play with gen2.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: