cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Vlan2 shuts down when bringing up Vlan3

Gerard Roy
Level 2
Level 2

Hi, I just want to create 2 vlans. Vlan2 and vlan3. I have created them and they are in the database but when I try and bring up one, the other goes admistratively down and vice versa. Anyone have a idea of what I am doing wrong?

11 Replies 11

Gerard Roy
Level 2
Level 2

Here is the attachment

Its a 2950 switch and doesn't support EMI for l3 functionality and therefore only supports 1 SVI active at a time.

I am confused. I know the 2950 is not a layer three device. I am plugged into an ASA and uplinked on port fa0/24 between switch and ASA. Doesn't the ASA know how to do router on a stick? See Visio attachement please.

I just got it - thanks!

No I don't got it. If I remove the IP from vlan3 (see original attachment) or remove the vlan 3 interface will it work?

There is no way to have an IP address per vlan on the switch?

I got it l2 vs. l3 - TOTAL brain fart. It HAS been a while ;) thanks!

Check the TAC case collection, I see a issue that you have with its resolution.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The 2950, like the 2900/3500XL, will only support ONE (1) VLAN up/up.

Jerry

There is an aspect to consider that may help to clarify your issue. There is a difference between a VLAN and a VLAN interface. There is a major difference between creating 2 VLANs and creating 2 VLAN interfaces. On the 2950 you certainly can create multiple VLANs (have multiple VLANs in the database) and assign different ports to different VLANs, and trunk multiple VLANs to other devices over trunk ports. This is quite different from creating VLAN interfaces. You can create VLANs without creating VLAN interfaces. Creating a VLAN interface is creating a layer 3 interface. And on layer 2 switches like the 2950 there can be only a single active VLAN interface at a time.

So on switches like the 2950 it is easy to create multiple VLANs but you can have only a single active VLAN interface.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rick and everyone thanks!. This clarifies a lot. After pounding on it for a while I cam to the same conclusion.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card