Views
Helpful
Replies

unable to get IP address from DHCP

frances.lau
Level 1
Level 1

hi all,

I have a AP1131 which cannot get IP from DHCP server. I have tried to configure static IP address and controller IP by lwapp command and the AP can successfully joined the controller. However, after I changed it to DHCP in WLC, it cannot get IP address and all lwapp config is gone. It cannot join the controller anymore only after I reset it and configure a static IP for it. The following error message appears after I changed it to DHCP in the WLC:

*Mar 7 08:44:36.511: RESETTING THE STATIC IP ADDRESS: LWAPP goes back to discovery

%WIDS-6-DISABLED: IDS Signature is removed and disabled.

%LWAPP-5-CHANGED: LWAPP changed state to DISCOVERY

%LWAPP-5-CHANGED: LWAPP changed state to DISCOVERY

%LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Dot11Radio0, changed state to up

%LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Dot11Radio1, changed state to up

%LWAPP-3-CLIENTERRORLOG: Config Command: error verifying sequence number

%LINK-5-CHANGED: Interface Dot11Radio1, changed state to reset

%LINK-5-CHANGED: Interface Dot11Radio0, changed state to reset

Any expert has some idea on it?

Thanks.

11 Replies 11

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Do you have IP Helper set on the router?

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

yes, i have other APs working properly on the network but only one AP has this problem.

Is that AP on the same subnet as the other AP's? The thing is, when you configure the AP with static information, you say the AP is able to join the WLC. This means that there is no issue with the AP. Now when you set the AP to use DHCP and not static, the AP does not obtain a DHCP address? Is that correct? If you have more than one AP on the same switch and on the same vlan, and only one has an issue, then maybe reset that AP to default and see if that fixes it. I'm also assuming that the vlan is being forwarded and you have enough dhcp address in the scope.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Is this AP on the same VLAN as the rest of your AP?

it is in the same vlan of another AP. actually, i already tried to reset it, convert it to IOS and convert it back to lwapp mode again but the situation is the same.

Do you have other ap's on the same switch with the ap that is not working.

-Scott

yes, other APs on the same switch is working fine.

Do you have the one set correctly on the wlc? If you reboot one of the other ap's, will that obtain a dhcp?

-Scott

yes, it is set correctly on WLC. other AP still obtain IP address even after reboot.

I would open a TAC case... Maybe they will rma your ap if determined bad. Never had an ap that I can set as a static that couldn't obtain a dhcp address. You are not doing mac reservation for dhcp.

-Scott

yes, i will try another ap to test. thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card