CCNA or ICND 1 and ICND2?

Unanswered Question
Mar 8th, 2009

Can anyone provide me any advice which is the appropriate path for getting a CCNA certification? On the basis of which criteria, I should decide to sit for the CCNA (640-802)?

or ICND1(640-822) + ICND2 (640-816)?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
compsolv Mon, 03/09/2009 - 09:02

The single exam option should really only be considered by someone that already knows the material really, really well. I tell all my students to ignore the option really and get the best possible training experience out of the two courses/exams.

If you are interested - check out our program for CCENT here, CCNA is next obviously.

www.ine.com

warrioreuel Tue, 03/10/2009 - 09:32

I used the 2 step process my self. Just finished my CCNA last week. If you are new to networking as I was then for me the two step test method helped me mentally get a handle on the basics.

Of course now that its over it makes me wonder why I thought it was necessary to break it down into 2 steps. But, if doing it over again, I would do it the same way.

My biggest recommendation is Learn Subnetting backwards and forwards. If you struggle even the least bit with binary numbers and subnetting in your head then you need more practice. Understanding subnetting is one of the most basic skills to master before going on with any higher certs. Again, subnetting needs to be second nature. You must be able to subnet in your head quickly and accurately. I say this over and over because I thought i knew subnetting well enough to take the test, part 1. But the lack of my ability to truly have subnetting mastered really slowed me down. I finally backed up in my studies and focused on truly learning subnetting once and for-all, no kinda sorta maybe, I learned it. Study hard, good luck.

abhijit379 Tue, 03/10/2009 - 23:00

Thank You for your Valued reply. Your suggestions will really help me a lot.

In the last month, I have purchased CISCO Official Exam Certification Guide, ICND1 and ICND2 Books. As a self study student, your reply is quite valuable to me.

I will be looking forward to all of your important suggestions and information, which I really need to pass my certification.

dbeare Tue, 03/10/2009 - 13:18

It really depends on your background and how you study. Personally, I did the 1 test path, read the Cisco Press and Todd Lammle books, bought some routers and switches on ebay to set up labs at home and passed easily on my first try. I had very little background in networking and didn't find it very difficult, but I also did 3-4 hours of training a night and 8 hrs a day on the weekends for 2 months before sitting for the exam.

Also, I highly recommend what a previous poster said. Know your subnetting backwards and forwards. If you can't tell the subnet mask of a /16 in a second, you don't know it well enough.

andrew.fedyszak... Wed, 03/11/2009 - 11:01

Hi,

I think there is a test on Cisco CCNA preperation website which gives you good indication where you are with your knowledge/studies.

I took one exam option but passed with just 3% to spare.

There is a lot of material to cover for one exam (2Cisco books are about 1300 pages in total).

You need to know your subnetting really well, but get a lot of hands on experience, either using router and switches or GNS3/Dynamips emulation software.

It is difficult to learn analysing output of verification and debugging commands just from reading books.

You have not got time on exam to wonder where you can find

There is CCNA Video Mentor available from Cisco Press to give you good overview of key configuration tasks.

Videos from CBTnuggets.com are very good as well.

Good luck !!!!

regards,

Andrew

abhijit379 Sun, 03/15/2009 - 11:28

Thank you Mr Andrew. I am following the Cisco press books and CBTnuggets tutorials. Thank you for your valued suggestion.

Actions

This Discussion