cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Connection 7: User search spaces and greetings administrator

lfulgenzi
Level 7
Level 7

In a previous post, I asked in what circumstances the user's search space takes effect.

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Unified%20Communications%20and%20Video&topic=Unified%20Communications%20Applications&topicID=.ee835d2&fromOutline=&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Ddisplay_location%26location%3D.2cd248fb

From this, I got that the user's search space took effect during message addressing and during the exit target if that target was set to inherit the search space from the call.

It seems there is an additional place where the user's search space takes effect - greetings administration.

I set up my forwarding rules to include the partition of the pilot call handler (that sends people to the greetings admin conv) but when I log in, it says it can't find the call handler.

I also tried modifying the search space of the pilot I use that transfers callers to the greetings administration conversation but that doesn't work either.

I cannot find anywhere to modify the greetings administration conversation.

So, I'm just wondering if this is working by design, where a user who users the greetings administration tool must have the partition in which the call handlers are contained in their search space.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

yes, that's by design - the greetings administrator is actually a subscriber conversation - most sites using it have it exposed off the main menu in their subscriber conversaton itself using a custom key map. The fact that it's offered as a routing destination off a one key rule or a routing rule is actually just for legacy reasons (it used to be a stand alone conversation). So really you're just hair-pinning into your subscriber conversation when you do that (it forces you out afterwards if you didn't come into it via your mailbox).

To avoid confusion I always suggest getting at it in your subscriber conversation - you have to sign in anyway it's not like it's saving you any time routing to it externally.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

yes, that's by design - the greetings administrator is actually a subscriber conversation - most sites using it have it exposed off the main menu in their subscriber conversaton itself using a custom key map. The fact that it's offered as a routing destination off a one key rule or a routing rule is actually just for legacy reasons (it used to be a stand alone conversation). So really you're just hair-pinning into your subscriber conversation when you do that (it forces you out afterwards if you didn't come into it via your mailbox).

To avoid confusion I always suggest getting at it in your subscriber conversation - you have to sign in anyway it's not like it's saving you any time routing to it externally.

OK. Thanks. That helps.

One reason, we're not going the subscriber way is the lack of distribution list owners for call handlers in Connection 7.

Our clients are always moving around, and having to modify all the call handlers is a pain. Distribution list ownership was great (in Unity). For now, we're using group ownership accounts for greeting admin. It eats up another license, but *shrug*...what's a few extra dollars. ;)

Any news on when distribution list ownership of call handlers might make it to Unity Connection?

You and I are on the same page with DL ownership. I have not seen it on the list for any comitted project is all I can say about that... I know they struggled with efficiently "flattending" membership details and wanting to avoid that but really I can't imagine that's an unsolvable problem. Best I can say is to be sure to ping your account team about it and get them to pile on to the existing PERS for that so it gets some attention by the product folks.

OK. Thanks. I'll have to get a message to them.

OK - Weird. Just when I thought I had this straight.

I have separated my greetings administrator users into a separate partition.

The only way I can log in to the greetings administrator is if the routing rule that I use has that special greeting administrator partition (or the pilot itself has access to that partition).

That seems to be the only thing the search space of that call handler or routing rule controls, i.e. who can log into the greetings administrator.

Not sure how partitioning off greetings admin helps since it's all the same conversation.

Search space of the call handler should also dictate which objects you can dial (i.e. if you dial the extension of a user or call handler outside the search space it shouldn't match them - if they are in the same search space it should).

Thanks. I guess the piece I was missing is that those built in conversations look like they inherit the search space from whence they're called. Or at least that's the way they seems to behave.

I'll have to play around some more with the other builtin conversations to get an idea.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: