cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

queuing recommendations for ten gig 1p7q4t interface

rfox1
Level 1
Level 1

I typically follow the queueing recommendations to start with from the QOS srnd (http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/solutions/Enterprise/WAN_and_MAN/QoS_SRND/QoSDesign.html#wp1002251) , and wanted to know if there were any configuration recommendations for the ten gig cards - 1p7q4t.

Thanks.

3 Replies 3

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Nothing to much to complain about the queue mapping suggestions, although the current RFC or Cisco model, I believe, can be both too complex and/or too simple. More germane is what comprises your traffic, your performance requirements and the capabilities of your equipment.

As to bandwidth allocations, really depends on the needs of your traffic. Where using the RFC or Cisco QoS model isn't likely to cause harm, even if suboptimal for your situation, bandwidth allocations really, I think, should correspond to your situation. This might also be true if setting various packet drop options and/or buffer/queue allocations.

The real goal of QoS is to provide, what it's called, Qualiy of Service, in contrast to just Best Effort. Only you, though, can define your QoS needs. Once you have, then the question becomes how to accomplish them.

Following one of Cisco guide's QoS recommendations, blindly, is much like just using Auto-QoS. It might work well for you, but it might not too.

The SRND for QOS is helpful to use as a baseline, and then modified based on additional network and application requirements.

Joseph, if you do not have any productive suggestions then there really is no need for you to reply.

If someone does have positive feedback, I would appreciate it.

My apologies!

I thought my verbose way of saying what you've wrote "The SRND for QOS is helpful to use as a baseline, and then modified based on additional network and application requirements." was productive because not all seem to realize you don't need to apply or follow SRND values exactly as seen/documented. It's sometimes difficult to truly appreciate the expertise of the person posting the original question or exactly the information that they might find of assistance. Your reply to my reply does help to further understanding.

Again, didn't intend my response to be non-productive. Hope someone else is able to provide you with what you consider as productive suggestions.

[edit]

Oh, BTW Richard (Dick?), I see in your profile notes you have a CCIE certification. I don't know what has to be done to accomplish it, but other CCIEs have the certification seen as part of their name on posts. Seeing this upfront would have provided a clue about your expertise level w/o having to open the user profile.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card