Views
Helpful
Replies

Telnet Problem

sudhir.bhagat
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Friends,

I am facing problem related to TELNET with one cisco 7206 router. Suddenly the same is not coming on Telnet, earlier it was working [Kindly note :- No changes were made on configs to the router recently]. What would be the cause of this problem.

Is Telnet session hanged UP. Any command to clear the same.

Regards

@SUBH

5 Replies 5

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@SUBH

If telnet was working fine, if it stopped working, and if you are SURE that no config changes were made, then my first guess is that the vty lines were configured with exec-timeout 0, which disables the inactivity timeout on the vty lines which are used in telnet. And that people established telnet sessions, did not properly exit the session logging off cleanly, and that all of the vty lines are now busy with hung sessions.

If this is the case, and if you have access to the console, you might try to clear the vty lines. The other alternative is to power cycle the router.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Rick,

Yes, it was the same problem i faced just before one month, actually the device at remote place then i asked one local person to console the device and guide him to clear the sessions.

Regards,

Naidu.

Naidu

Thank you for confirming that sometime the problem as described in the original post are due to the issue that I suggested. I am glad that you were able to figure out what caused your problem and to resolve it without requiring a reboot of the router.

We will wait to hear from the original poster to see if this was also the cause of his problem.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hii Rick,

The same i was suspecting and observed that after clearing vty telnet happening.

thanks a lot.

regards

Sudhir

I am glad that my suggestion led you to a solution of your problem. This issue is the reason that I frequently suggest that while "no exec-timeout" (or its equivalent of exec-timeout 0) may be ok on the console port, it is a problem waiting to happen when you configure it on VTY ports.

Thank you for posting back to the forum and indicating that your problem was resolved. It makes the forum more useful when people can read about a problem and can read what did resolve the problem.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: