Cisco IOS error

Unanswered Question
Mar 9th, 2009
User Badges:

I'm having troubles upgrading my Cisco 3020 switches. Currently my switches show their firmware to be:

cbs30x0-lanbase-mz.122-37.SE1

So I've downloaded the slightly newer firmware off HP's site:

cbs30x0-ipbase-tar.122-46.SE.tar

I'm connecting to the switch via a usb->serial connector. When I enter the command to download and install the new .tar file:

archive download-sw /safe ftp://152.37.41.166/cbs30x0-ipbase-tar.122-46.SE.tar

I receive the following output:

Could not buffer tarfile...using multiple downloads

examining image...

%Error opening ftp://152.37.41.166/cbs30x0-ipbase-tar.122-46.SE.tar (Timed out)

%Error opening flash:update/info (No such file or directory)

ERROR: Image is not a valid IOS image archive.

I've already upgraded brocades on our network using this very same ftp, there should be no connection problems with it. I've run the md5 against the package downloaded from HP, and it matches perfectly.

This is an inheritted lab, so the ins and out of what's been set up how and why are still being found out.

Is it just that my current firmware isnt' supposed to upgrade to what HP is hosting on their site for this product? Am I expected to force the firmware?

Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated.

-Aaron

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
drolemc Sun, 03/15/2009 - 14:07
User Badges:
  • Silver, 250 points or more

• Make sure you are able to ping the TFTP server IP address from the switch.

• Verify your TFTP server is working, and if possible, try a different TFTP server.

• Remove any old information directory from the Flash.

• If the error message still appears, format the Flash and reload the switch. After you format, the switch might boot into ROM Monitor (ROMmon) mode. If the switch boots into ROMmon mode, recover the switch using Xmodem.

Before that you have to stop the firewall, Antivirus and other security options.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps646/products_configuration_example09186a0080169623.shtml#concept9

Actions

This Discussion