cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Security Device Manager

wesley.roberts
Level 1
Level 1

I downloaded SDM to help me configure a site to site vpn. I tried loading versions:

Basicly everything on the download page. I get:

"The router model is unsupported by SDM"

Can I not use SDM with my router?

Cisco 2621 <---no it is not XM

c2600-ik9o3s3-mz.122-15.T10.bin

64/16

8 Replies 8

I wonder if I wasted my time on this 2621 by upgrading the ram, IOS, installing AIM vpn/bp card in to try and do site to site VPNS. Am I wasting my time?

You can still configure VPN using CLI.

Kyle

In your original post you seem to indicate that this is the IOS code in your router:

c2600-ik9o3s3-mz.122-15.T10.bin

If this is really the IOS that you are running, then Leo is right that you can configure VPN site to site using the CLI since this version of IOS does include support for crypto and for IPSec VPN.

and in this case I do not believe that you have wasted your time. In fact by the time you get IPSec VPN site to site to work from the CLI you will have learned much more than you would have if SDM had worked for you.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

i agreed with rburts. you ll learn a lot more using the CLI. it brings some kind of flexibility and skills you would not get using SDM.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Cisco has, in the last 4 years, used SDM as to encourage new converts to Cisco equipments. Unfortunately, SDM is well-known to be CPU and memory hungry (to your appliance), slow and not as feature rich as the CLI.

You'll learn alot more, quicker using CLI than SDM.

Sam Smiley
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Wesley,

The above post are correct in that the 2600 none XM will not run SDM. However they will do site-to-site VPN just fine. Here is a link to a config that I know works with site-to-site.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk583/tk372/technologies_configuration_example09186a008014bcd7.shtml

Cheers,

Sam

Sam, that was very helpful. Im going to Omit somethings out of the article that or for cosmetic reasons and post back here so someone else can use it in the future...

More to come

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card