Messages Have Been Held in the UnityMTA Directory for external caller

Unanswered Question
Mar 10th, 2009

Hi, I do have some very weird issue with Cisco Unity 4.x and MS exchange which is running on windows 2003 (SP2). Many users complained that somebody left the messages for users but MWI & exchange never gave any kind of indication. I've started invitations and found that Messages Have Been Held in the UnityMTA Directory. I tested by my extension and tried to leave voice mail for other user. And found that this works perfectly. But, when I tried to leave voice mail from mobile phone I can able to get voice prompt but later Undelivered Voicemail messages are found in the commserver\unitymta\failed directory.

I can able to see below error in Unity's MS event viewer but not sure what the relation with this issue is as local extension works normally.

Event Type: Failure Audit

Event Source: Security

Event Category: (2)

Event ID: 534

Event Type: Error

Event Source: CiscoUnity_UMR

Event Category: (8)

Event ID: 137

What I tried is following with no success:

- restarted AvUMRSynchSvr service

- Restarted unity server

- ping to exchange is 100% & vice versa

- Deleted MAPI profile and created by rebooting unity server.

Unity behaves like this only in two conditions.

- If caller is external

- If EM user logged off from IP phone.

Thank you,

I have this problem too.
0 votes
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Overall Rating: 4 (3 ratings)
Jaime Valencia Tue, 03/10/2009 - 07:52

external users use the unity_ account, internal users use their own account. that's why it happens

run PW and MSCW again to make sure it's right



if this helps, please rate

Tray Stoutmeyer Tue, 03/10/2009 - 08:24

Go into AD and make sure you have a Unity_unityservername account and also check Exchange for a Unity Messaging System Mailbox. MSCW should recreate these if they are missing per the previous person's suggestion.


Ginger Dillon Tue, 03/10/2009 - 11:05

Hi -

Something else I caught in the user's post is that the messages are going to UnityMta\Failed. Once they get here, restarting the UMR synch service won't help. You need to move them to the Root of the UnityMta folder, then restart UMR synch service. I would check your Unity application event log to ensure Unity thinks Exchange server is available, i.e. not seeing any errors regarding Exchange offline. If the messages return back to the Failed directory, this is typically a problem with the user's mailbox, which could be permissions, user inbox limits for receive have been exceeded etc. Lastly, make sure the user account has inheritance checked in Security - Advanced features in ADUC. And of course, follow the previous two excellent recommendations :-)


g114112118s Wed, 03/11/2009 - 05:55

All, Thank you for your valuable inputs. i took following actions without success; looks bug related issue but not sure. I didn't emphasize enough in problem description that incase of internal calls, unity & exchange has not having any kind of issue. Exchange can cable to send email to user with attachment for internal caller's voice mail.

- Run PW and went through successfully. I will give it a try to MSCW.

- Checked AD account & permissions. It looks ok because if I tried internal extensions and left voice massage; exchange can able to send email having voice mail attached to it.

- I tried to move some files to Root of the UnityMta folder & UMR synch service but again it jumped to Failed folder.

- As the system is in production therefore there are no any radical changes been made in AD & other system related settings.

I will try to execute MSCW and let you know the results….Thank you.

mohammed.naviwala Thu, 05/21/2009 - 03:42

With Win 2K3 SP2 the permissions are differently handled. you have to make your unity service accounts a member of the local admin group on the exchange server.

try this out. it should work.

Vaijanath Sonvane Tue, 07/28/2009 - 00:43

Hi Ankur,

This is Vaijanath. I am facing exact replica of your problem. Have you got any solution for this issue? Can you let us know how to resolve this issue.

Thanks in advance....

g114112118s Tue, 07/28/2009 - 01:10


I' gave up on this issue as i was heavily involved with different project. I believe our other team member solved this issue with help of TAC engineer. Seems it was the permission issue; please try MSCW. This should give you more leads towards the root cause. Comments from other member were been also very helpful. Please also consider that as well;

Thank you,


Vaijanath Sonvane Sun, 08/16/2009 - 23:25


the problem is resolved after increasing the Mailbox size of EAdmin account.

From Exchange console, we also saw that the EAdmin mailbox was full.

Please note the following :

- EAdmin account is the owner by default for all the call handlers you've configured and also is the recipient for the distribution list unaddressesmessages. So basically whenever someone is trying to leave a voicemail to an non-existing subscriber, the voicemail will be sent to the unaddressedmessages list and thus will end in the EAdmin account.

- If you want to avoid this situation in the future, you need to make sure the EAdmin mailbox is not part of any Exchange address list. Since you cannot prevent unaddressedmessages to be delivered to EAdmin, you can create a script in Exchange 2007 that purges this mailbox every week or so.

So to summarize, whenever Unity_ was sending a message to the unaddressedmessages distribution list, since EAdmin mailbox was full, it was returning a NDR email to Unity_ which causes it to grow.


This Discussion