question about VTP client

Unanswered Question
Mar 10th, 2009
User Badges:

hello all. I have a switch that is a vtp client in a certain VTP domain. Of course it gets its VLANs from the VTP server for that domain.

My question is - can I manually add a VLAN to the VTP client switch despite the fact that this VLAN I intend to add is not configured on the VTP server? switch.

Overall Rating: 2.5 (4 ratings)
kdaramola Tue, 03/10/2009 - 10:41
User Badges:

yes, But you must change the vtp mode to server first then you can add the vlan. In client mode you not be able to add any vlan.

west33637 Tue, 03/10/2009 - 11:11
User Badges:

if I change the vtp mode to server under the same vtp domain wont it affect the entire topology by causing the other clients to learn from this new VTP server?

Im trying to figure how I can add a vlan to this vtp client switch without it impacting any of the other switches in the VTP domain. Would VTP mode transparent accomplish this?

stuart-cox Tue, 03/10/2009 - 15:02
User Badges:

Why do you not want the other switches to know about that VLAN? Just don't assign the vlan to ports that don't need to use that VLAN. Are you concerned about the security of that VLAN? You could use pruning, or don't allow the trunks to forward that VLAN. Anyway I would not use transparent unless you don't have many switches. If you start using vtp mode transparent on your switches it will slow your ability to manage the network on a large scale if your network has many switches.

jcrussell Tue, 03/10/2009 - 15:25
User Badges:
  • Silver, 250 points or more

Cisco itself recommends using VTP transparent mode in their SRND guides.

"Set trunks to on/on with no negotiate, prune unused VLANs, and use VTP transparent mode. ...Finally, VTP transparent mode should be used because the need for a shared common VLAN database is reduced.

"Use VLAN Trunking Protocol (VTP) in transparent mode to reduce the potential for operational error."

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/solutions/Enterprise/Campus/HA_campus_DG/hacampusdg.html

Actions

This Discussion