Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

No MWIs after unified messaging

I have Unity 4.2.1 with Exchange 2003. After I set up the accounts for Unified Messaging, the MWIs don't light. Also, the message notification doesn't work either. Is this the default behavior? Is there some other configuration that I need to make to get the MWI and Notification? Thanks

15 Replies 15

Tray Stoutmeyer
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

How are you setting up the accounts for UM? We need more details here. It almost sounds like you aren't monitoring those mailboxes but, without more details about how you did the UM, I don't know where to start. If it was a matter of adding users to a new mailstore, you would have needed to run Permissions Wizard to include the new stores so that Unity could monitor them. So far that would be all I can come up with without more info.

Tray

I installed Outlook on the PCs and just put in the subscriber accounts. Now, all new messges go to the inbox of Outlook, but there's no MWI, notification etc. I've run the Permissions Wizard several times.

Bradford Magnani
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If you run the Port Status Monitor Tool from Tools Depot and Settings>Real Time view, if you leave a message for a subscriber, do you see the ports configured for MWI(typically highest ports) dialing out? Also make sure that the correct Switch is configured for subscribers on their profile pages.

Any errors/warnings in the application log?

Brad

The Status Monitor (from the Tools Depot) doesn't show anything going out, not MWI, notification nor text pager. There are no errors in the Event Viewer logs.

The MWI status gets "stuck" in "MWI Request is pending."

This takes me back to my point. What details can you provide about how you did the UM conversion? If this is on a new Mail Store on Exchange you have to run PW and select those new stores on the Choose Mailstores step on to have Unity monitor them. You say you ran PW but did you select the mailstores these users are on when you did? If you have and you see no mwi dialing out of the last ports on your integration (if you have 16 ports, you should be looking at 16 and 15) in the port status monitor, then the only other thing to do is collect traces and you would need TAC help with this.

Tray

Tray

Hi -

Another area to check is your Unity integration with CallManager, called UTIM. Make sure you are using the correct MWI On and Off codes (the same extensions that are defined in CallManager). It wouldn't hurt to test the migration. You also need one or more Unity ports selected to do MWI in the Unity SA - Ports section. Lastly, make sure the Calling search space you are using the Unity voicemail ports includes the partition your phones are in. You may have the permissions set correctly, but if the voice ports cannot send the Set Message lamp instruction to the phone, you won't get MWI. It wouldn't hurt to check the troubleshooting section for your version of Unity either.

Best wishes, Ginger

I'm doing this on my lab for a customer. I have two ports. This is an off box Exchange. It was a voice mail only setup. Recently, I loaded Outlook on a PC and created an account on Outlook for each of the subscribers. The voice mails came into the Outlook accounts. That's the extent of the "conversion." Since I've done that, the MWIs stopped. I just noticed the Message Notification problem, although it may have started when the MWI problem started.

When I ran the PW, I did select the mailstores.

Hi -

Are the messages being moved by an Outlook inbox rule to a folder other than the main inbox, or downloaded to a PST file? Voice messages must remain in the inbox to properly set MWI.

Ginger

Ginger, the voice mails go to the Outlook Inbox. There is no PST file on the PC. I'm not sure about the Outlook rule which puts it there. I just loaded Outlook on a PC and configured it to go to the Exchange server and set up accounts for the subscribers. The voice mails show up in the Inbox.

When I hit the Refresh button on the MWI it stays in "MWI Request is pending" status.

There is one phone that has an MWI on and it won't go off, even if all the voice mails are deleted. It's status too shows "MWI Request is pending." Was there something else I should have configured for integration?

This sounds like it could be a SwitchID mismatch. I would verify using the Data Link Explorer from the Tools Depot (CUDLE) under Diagnostic Tools and find the Subscriber table with the SwitchID column and note the #.

Then go verify what the integration ID is under UTIM for that particular integration and drill down to Properties and make sure it matches what should be in SQL. If they do not, then you'll never get MWI and you can modify that SwitchID right there from UTIM.

Hope that helps,

Brad

The switchID is 0 on the Data Link Explorer and in the UTIM.

Interesting... can you confirm that AvMsgStoreMonitorSvc is still running? If everything checks out, you're probably just missing something simple that we've overlooked.

Brad

I was thinking... can you dial MWI on/off codes from the phone itself?

The problem was that an instance of Outlook was loaded on the Unity server itself. In faact, the whole office suite was loaded on it. I uninstalled it, rebooted and now the MWIs and message notification is working normally. My bad for not seeing this earlier. Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

Tony

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: