Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade CTM or Downgrade CTC ?

ranokarno82
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

we've been implement DWDM ring consist of 4 nodes ONS15454SDH (ver 7.2) and recently we've added a new DWDM ROADM consist of 5 nodes (ver. 8.51).

currently we're using CTM 8.0 to monitor existing ONS ver 7.2, but with new added nodes ver 8.51, we'll have to upgrade existing CTM8.0 to CTM8.5

issues:

1. we've using CTM server 8.0 to monitor and report traffic for our clients and vital because we don't have any other NMS for Cisco DWDM.

2. upgrading CTM8.0 to CTM8.5 will need downtime, correct me if i'm wrong!

this will make us lost NMS data reported to our client which is avoided.

questions:

1. which one is better, upgrade the NMS server or trying to downgrade Cisco ONS 8.51 to 8.0 software version? (if it's possible)

2. if i'm gonna upgrade NMS CTM8.0 to CTM8.5, is there any issue with bugs , etc?

as you know last time when I upgrade NMS from CTM 7.2 to 8.0, I got bugs which i can't restore my database after upgrade the NMS server. this make us to create an incident report and apologize to our client for losing our NMS database about nine-month periode.

Thanks&Regard

Rano

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

No you cannot import 8.0 database to 8.5.

Reason is that with every major release there are always new table entries to support new features/hardware added.

It is always recommended to also Upgrade your database. If you don't care about the old data then just install a new CTM version.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

mosho
Level 1
Level 1

New software usually have new features and bug fixes that you can take advantage of.

So you should upgrade your CTM to 8.5.

Before upgrading read the CTM8.5 release note and make sure you are aware of any caveat.

It is usually best practice to do a full system backup of your CTM server so that you can recover in the event of upgrade problems..

Upgrade your CTM when you have less activities on the Network, that way you minimize risk to your customers. Note that once the upgrade is completed, CTM will syncronized and retrieve any outstanding and PM data on the DWDM devices.

Hi Mosho,

thanks for your reply,

yes, we've been preparing for upgrading CTM to 8.5 and we're also planning to put the latest patches for CTM 8.5

our consideration is about the lost data due the upgrading process.

tomorrow morning we're having a formal meeting with our client to discuss about this matter.

by the way, is there any possibility to downgrade ONS using CTC 8.51 to 8.0

regards,

Rano

Yes it is possible on the DWDM. I am not sure if there will be issues since I have not personally done this.

If you already have the CTC 8.0 software,

1. You can do a revert of the CTC to 7.2, you should still have it on your TCC card as the backup software. Then load the 8.0 software and activate.

or

2. load CTC 8.0 to the TCC card backup location, once the upload is done. Then do a revert.

hmm.. the issue is with new added nodes using CTC 8.51

i'm just thinking another solution that downgrade the new added nodes into 8.0 version will reduced the problem slightly. and of course we'll losing benefit with the new features within new software version.

it just that i can't say that directly while i'm not sure about it. but by thinking using TCC2P card we can revert software version to old release. i'm agree with you that there is possibility to downgrade CTC software version..

thanks Mosho

=Rano=

you will not only loose new features. Look for security messages!

My recommendation: update everything to 8.5.3 or better 9.0

Dear All,

we're planning to add a temporary server as CTM 8.0, while upgrading existing server CTM 8.0 to CTM 8.5.

last question:

- could I import backup database from temporary CTM8.0 server to CTM8.5 server?

thank you

Rano.

No you cannot import 8.0 database to 8.5.

Reason is that with every major release there are always new table entries to support new features/hardware added.

It is always recommended to also Upgrade your database. If you don't care about the old data then just install a new CTM version.

thank you very much Mosho

=rano=

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: