cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Locating and Mapping APs

jmaurer1205
Level 1
Level 1

Is there software that I can locate and map my AP location and mac address. Even being able to walk around and find the AP with accuracy would be nice.

I have been crawling around in the ceilings trying to locate and each AP. The Vender did not do a good job with documentation.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

jeff.kish
Level 7
Level 7

Try AirMagnet Survey. It's a great product that will produce a heatmap showing wireless signal. I use it all the time to pinpoint AP locations. It does it by AP name or MAC address.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

jeff.kish
Level 7
Level 7

Try AirMagnet Survey. It's a great product that will produce a heatmap showing wireless signal. I use it all the time to pinpoint AP locations. It does it by AP name or MAC address.

AirMagnet should work for me. The other information is helpful and could have used it with the other APs in the other buildings, they were in the open. The ones I am currently looking for are in the ceiling where I cant see them.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can identify the AP by enabling/disabling the LED. The command is "config ap led-state enable ".

Leo, do you happen to know whether you can make the LEDs blink in lightweight? I know the option exists in autonomous, but I've never found the option on a controller.

Hi Jeff,

The command "config ap led-state enable " will disable/enable the LED. By default, it's enabled.

So if you disable it, the Status LED (aka "mood ring") would stop flashing.

Jeff,

Found another way. Enable telnet access to the AP and do the same method: "led flash "

To disable, "led flash disable".

Is this what you are looking for?

Perfect, that's what I've never been able to find. Thanks for the answer! Any idea if you can do it from the GUI?

Jeff,

First off, thanks for the rating.

Unfortunately, you can't enable either one of the options by GUI. Why can't Cisco get this incorporated, I have no idea.

Yeah, that's pretty lame. At least the functionality is there, I never knew it was. I'm a CLI person when it comes to autonomous APs, but I rarely use the CLI for controllers. I guess I keep holding off learning it thinking they're going to make it into IOS in some form, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen.

Hi Jeff,

When it comes to WLC, I switched my allegiance to CLI because I found out (after pulling half of my hair out) that there were alot of functions that were present in CLI than GUI. What makes is strange is the fact that when you go into a Cisco-certified WLAN training, they won't teach you CLI.

I haven't gone to the training but my colleagues who went don't even know half of the CLI that I know.

Weird isn't it?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: