cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Stack cable length 3750 question

pbogaerts
Level 1
Level 1

is it possible to stack 4 3750 with between the switches stackcables of 3m, what is here the rule?

4 Replies 4

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sure you can but 3m is quite long for all stackports, the switch already comes with .5m and 3m is optional purchase. Please see this document

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/hardware/quick/guide/3750GSG3.html#wp53466

HTH,

__

Edison.

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You could but why . Also that adds a lot of weight to cable and the connectors are not exactly stout . I would only use a long one if you need it to go from the bottom of the stack back up to the top otherwise you just use the short ones all the way down the stack.

Thanks for the replies, I need 3m cables because of a rack interconnections, switch in first rack then no switch in second, switch in 3th rack, no switch in fourth and so on.

Think of the small but so irritating fact that the stack cables need to make a loop to function properly.

if you only use it to make a long chain with 3meter cables then you set yourself up for realy poor performance under load and trouble with split stacks and such things.

I use the 3750s in the same manner and I have set a maximum of 3 racks apart.

and that is only if I can pull the cable somewhat properly.

Basically what I do is.

R1---R2---R3 then loop it back from Rack3 to rack 2 to rack 1 to form the loop.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card