Views
Helpful
Replies

Etherchannel config not working

whiteford
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am trying to create an etherchannel between a Cisco 2950 and 3550 in a lab first. I want to use 2 ports on each switch as a trunk for load balance and redundancy.

If I just have one fa0/1 from each switch connected the PC's in fa 0/24 on each switch (VLAN 10) can ping each other as soon as I add the second trunk from fa0/2 on each switch the pings stop and I get the spanning tree blocking one of the ports:

01:11:14: %SPANTREE-7-RECV_1Q_NON_TRUNK: Received 802.1Q BPDU on non trunk FastE thernet0/3 VLAN1.

01:11:14: %SPANTREE-7-BLOCK_PORT_TYPE: Blocking FastEthernet0/3 on VLAN0001. Inconsistent port type.

Please take a look at my simple configs

4 Replies 4

whiteford
Level 1
Level 1

First mistake:

Received 802.1Q BPDU on non trunk FastE thernet0/3 VLAN1.

I used the wrong port, however does my config look ok for load balance?

As I'm getting this error now:

01:30:08: %PM-4-ERR_DISABLE: channel-misconfig error detected on Fa0/2, putting Fa0/2 in err-disable state

Hello,

Regarding the misconfiguration you have on the channel-group check:

1. You are using the same trunking protocol on both sides, dot1q in this case.

2. The flow-control is the same on both sides. Flowcontrol is off by default, thus the line should not be there.

interface Port-channel1

switchport mode trunk

flowcontrol send off <---

3. Enable trunk only on the Port-channel.

About the load-balance, you left it by default which is source mac-address. The load balancing will depend on the kind of flow that will traverse your Port-channel.

By the way, did you get your ping to work?

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You can't bring them up one at a time . Also my self I would use " channel group X mode desirable non-silent but that is just a preference which lets the switch negotiate the etherchannel. Do a shut on the port channel itself not the interfaces . Then bring up the "port channel" (no shut) which should bring up both interfaces at the same time. Do this for both sides . When you do 1 at a time it treats it as an individual trunk link and then you have a mismatch from the far side of the link and a spanning tree loop so it shuts down 1 port , when you bring the "port channel active " it puts both ports into the port channel and should eliminate the spanning tree blocked port condition .

Shutting down the port channel and bring it back up fixed it and all is working, I can ping other the devices across the switches even when I pull out the a trunk port or shut it down, so by default is it load balancing?

Can I tell which of the trunks is getting used most?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco