I'm adding a 3560G to my existing 3548-XL stack as a VTP client because I want it to get the VLAN config. After the basic config the switch is not getting VTP info from the server so I have three questions:
1. I have to connect the 3560 to my existing 3548 through the a switch port because the 3548 doesn't have SFP ports. Do I have to change the mode of the switch ports that are connecting the two switches to something special?
2. I added the 3560 to the VTP domain (hsf) but I'm not sure if there is a VTP password set which may be causing the issue. All these switches were in place when I cam on-board and I haven't had to mess with them much. SH VTP PASSWORD doesn't exist on the 3548 so I can't see what the password may be. Should I change the VTP password on all the existing switches so I know what it is? Will this hurt the existing VTP clients? Is there a better way to do this?
3. I'm I going about this wrong? Is there something else I need to change or configure to get it working?
1) You need the port to be a trunk port. So you need to configure both ends as trunks.
2) Try 1 first before messing with the password.
What IOS version are you running on the 3548XL switches ?