Views
Helpful
Replies

AP Group not working

Starthorn
Level 1
Level 1

I upgrade one of my 2 4404 controllers to 5.2.178.0

I can't remove access points from the default-group AP Group. So it is now impossible to pick which WLANS (SSIDs)to broadcast with specific IP's

I didn't update my second controller. When I add an access point to a AP group that I made, it disappears from the default-group.

So my question is, do we know if its 5.2.178.0 that is causing this or could something else be doing it

6 Replies 6

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

On 5.2, all access points will be part of the default-group. Only when you create an AP Group and assign an AP to that group, will make that AP part of the new AP Group and no part of the default group. You can then remove that AP fro the AP Group which will place it back into the default-group and allow you to add it to a different AP Group.

Does that make sense? The AP can only belong to either the defaul group or an AP Group you configured.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

I didn't see your message before I said bump.

So I have access point 200 in my default-group.

I made a group called default-group2 and added the access point I named 200 to it.

I went back to look at AP group default-group and 200 is still there

It is in both lists. Is it because I named my new group something close to default-group?

I don't know, but try to name your AP groups something that has a beeter meaning like Area#, VLAN#, etc. see if that fixes it. Also when you add an AP to that AP group, does the AP obtain the information on that AP Group or the default-group settings.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

I deleted default-group2 then made another with a different name. Then things started to work.

So is it a bug that you cant name anything similar to default-group or is it the way its meant to be

Starthorn
Level 1
Level 1

bump

Chapter 6 page 6-44 of the 5.2 Config Manual

When you upgrade to controller software release 5.2, the controller creates the default-group

access point group and automatically populates it with the first 16 WLANs (WLANs with IDs 1

through 16, or fewer if 16 WLANs are not configured).This default group cannot be modified

(you cannot add WLANs to it nor delete WLANs from it). It is dynamically updated whenever

the first 16 WLANs are added or deleted. If an access point does not belong to an access point

group, it is assigned to the default group and uses the WLANs in that group. If an access point

joins the controller with an undefined access point group name, the access point keeps its group

name but uses the WLANs in the default-group access point group.

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card